Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-04-08 19:40:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

2013 April nonces day

Well, the April nonces week maybe. I don’t have so many this year, since I’m not shy about posting them as they come up. Here they are in all their questionable glory.

Not just going through the motions of bowing and scraping.

I think CBS is genuine-flexing with Tiger in hunt going into weekend. Tiger makes for compelling competition. Enjoy the charge.
NFL executive tweet

When worlds collide.

also, CBS will do a repeat of the first episode TOMORROW…
And, they will go mondo e mondo with Amercian Idol AND the 7 state primaries… Who will win tomorrow??? Stay tuned…
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?s … =3034&st=7

I came in like a lion, but was soon out like a lamb.

I wasn’t sure I was doing it properly but I must have because I was out like a lamb for the entire night.
Acupuncture relaxation

First person corroboration of the return tripper
I also had trouble with the phrase describing the weather in March. I thought that it was: “March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamp”! Let’s be fair, that wasn’t an unreasonable misunderstanding on my part since ‘lamps’ can, and do go out quite frequently, and in the days of gas lamps and oil lamps they could do it very quietly. So I had the concept right in my very juvenile mind even if I had got the words wrong!

Cyclist Victoria Pendleton was asking for it.

It’s funny how she’s a cyclist and her name is Victoria Peddleton
ease dropped conversation

Gosh I feel so bad for Victoria Pedalton, not a nice way to end a career, still one of the best female cyclists this country has seen.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … =firefox-a

There goes Victoria, breaking away from the pack.

yea, he led for basically the whole race…pulled away from teh pedalton and had a almost a 1:40 lead at one time
http://www.nceuro.org/forums/viewtopic. … 1f76fa36c8

A Lehman’s term inspired by Kem’s recent filibluster.

He had me come down for a speech, I thought he wanted to hear me, my speech, but after five minutes, I said ‘I’m done’. He said, ‘Keep talking this is a Philip Buster, I don’t care what you say, just keep talking.”
Misheard speech

Republicans have Phillip Bustered tons of policies since they are the party of NO.
Chat

It’s nice when you don’t have to deal with those primitive urgings.

Paje beach is known as the best kitespot on the island. It got the most beautiful beaches, lots of space, crystal blue water and an nice reef with clean waves. The spot is also perfect because there are not a lot of sea urgings, sea weed and coral as on the rest of the island.
Tourist blurb, Zanzibar

Bearing children for someone else is asking for misery.

Coming to think of it, I have seen her in different roles right from a sorrow-get-mother (chori chori chupke chupke) to a social outcast(kya kehna).
Indian actress review

This one’s sweet.

It has a state of the heart professionally designed premises with pleasant ambience ideal for the pursuit of academic study.
Indian college blurb

Another tanker for the eggcorn drinx page.

we managed to sneak some alcohol in and in true style I had my Tankery Gin to keep me going.
http://www.traveljournals.net/stories/27860.html

Acorns: genuflexing, mano a mano, out like a lamp, cyclist Victoria Pendleton, peloton, filibuster, urchins, teeth, surrogate, art, Tanqueray

#2 2013-04-08 21:52:00

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 2013 April nonces day

As usual, some of these are gutbusters. Can’t wait til next April 1.

The confession on “out like a lamp” raises it to eggcorn status, I think. Another confession. In fact, there are several other non-confessional uses of “March went out like a lamp”—it’s more than a googlenonce.

Last edited by kem (2013-12-29 21:20:49)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer