Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-04-16 20:00:34

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

feign < feint

I was sure this one was already on the site somewhere, but I did not find it by searching for either feign or feint .

From David B’s big burley behemothly brutal beastly battle text (post #4 after the link):

she was driven into a crazed charge, this time feigning with great speed to the left and striking up with a diagonal cleave for Vaxir’s chest,

Others, of course:

She lunged forward, feigning to the right and swinging to the left. The man dodged but was caught by a knee to his ribs.

Feigning to the right, the demon following, Michael then sprang to the left, getting behind Asmodeus before the demon had realized his mistake.

Feigning to the left, we attack to the right. with perfect steps. Striking left and attacking right,. we follow the opportunities.

Charlie says, “First I feign to the left—” · “Then I feign to the right!” GSP under a Big Sky

A feint is a feigned movement, so the connection is almost inexcapable (which if you calculate it, may be fully capable even now.) The doubled examples (and there were others) indicate it’s standard for the users.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-04-16 21:40:51)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-04-16 20:07:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: feign < feint

It round trips, of course. In some of these fainting may be somewhat active, as well:

He kicked me again. “Act sick, stupid!” he whispered firmly. “Oh, okay,” I said. “Ohhhhhhhhh!” I moaned, feinting illness. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him, sir!

Hopefully she isn’t feinting illness, otherwise she could have deeper psychological issues that need to be addressed for her own well-being.

Is feinting injury (not to get a free kick, but to get a substitution which would normally be prohibited as per fifa or competition rules) a cautionable offense?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-04-17 18:16:03

kem
Eggcornista

Re: feign < feint

Like you, I thought we had done this one. Apparently not.

“Faint” and “feign” are discussed on this blog. The author says that they derive from the same etymon.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer