Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-16 08:39:03

jorkel
Eggcornista

Struck A CORD / ACCORD / a chord

Google counts on Sept 16, 2006:
1,020,000 “struck a chord”
106,000 “struck a CORD” (1,410 that also mention “chord” in close proximity)
409 “struck ACCORD” —see the attached post for comment on this.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A musical “chord” certainly creates the notion of harmony. More broadly, “struck a chord” has two definitions: 1. created an emotional response, or 2. was relevant or familiar to. Definition 1 hails back to the musical notion of a chord.

The proposed eggcorn “struck a CORD” may conjure up the notion of a plucking a “cord” (or musical string) on an instrument to produce an emotional response that way. (A less likely image is that of pulling a cord to call up the butler. ...Maybe moreso in the usage “touch a cord.”) The final possibility is that “cord” just a misspelling of “chord” and we have no way of knowing.

Examples where “Struck a CORD” is used in the vicinity of “chord” :
Note: It is interesting that the first two examples seem to switch the meaning of “chord” and “cord”—which suggests a misspelling. But the third and fourth examples seem legit.

Vik’s Rants » MaharashtraEven BJP is trying to cut the umbical chords that bind it with RSS. ... A fiery orator, this diminutive cartoonist struck a cord with the Marathi working …
vikrant.wordpress.com/tag/maharashtra/ – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

Hawaiian Music | Santopia.comThis new style incorporated picking of the chords with the fingers and at the … His music and lyrics struck a cord with the local Hawaiians and it did not …
hawaii.santopia.com/Hawaii/HawaiianMusic/tabid/1113/Default.aspx – 82k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.ca: Tidal (Enhanced): Music: Fiona AppleShe also has yet to refine her moody piano chords into actual melodies, ... but more a jazzier Tori Amos or Aimee Mann), it all struck a cord. ...
www.amazon.ca/Tidal-Enhanced-Fiona-Apple/dp/B000002BE9 – 65k – Sep 14, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Guest Comments June 1-15, 2003Musically, maybe chords or tablature? I’ll keep watching & listening! ... It really struck a cord with me and I’ve played it over and over – I love it more …
www.richardthompson-music.com/bwg6a03.asp – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Gwen Stefani Arrowhead Pond Tickets – Gwen Stefani Los Angeles Tickets… was released in 1995, and not only struck a cord with their devout fans, ... and must have struck a Spanish guitar chord with the public since the …
www.barrystickets.com/los-angeles/arrow … ickets.php – 44k – Cached – Similar pages

IPA: NewsHowell strikes chord on traditional vs new media, 26/04/2000 … communications mediums vs the net have struck a cord according to Visual ArtsTrends, ...
www.ipa.co.uk/news/news_archive/display … itemid=204 – Similar pages

Webshots Staff PicksThis photo hits an emotional chord that elevates it beyond the typical kitty … This close-up shot of the strings of a guitar struck a cord with me. ...
staffpicks.webshots.com/index.php?paged=4 – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-17 01:52:35)

#2 2006-09-16 08:40:33

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Struck A CORD / ACCORD / a chord

Google counts on Sept 16, 2006:
1,020,000 “struck a chord”
409 “struck ACCORD”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

An “accord” is an agreement. The usage “struck ACCORD” is interesting for a couple of reasons. First, one would normally say “struck AN accord.” Second, the construction “struck accord” is clearly inspired by subconscious reference to “struck a chord.”

(I have located many of these subconscious linguistic carry-overs in my posts, and perhaps they are eggcorns. But if they are NOT eggcorns, they would certainly suggest a whole new classification.)

Examples:

P³S.R. » Thoughts 2/26/2006 (Epic)It really struck accord when you said people just don’t think, they don’t. I was one of them I admit. To get back on the subject, maybe that’s life? ...
pppsr.wordpress.com/2006/02/26/thoughts-2262006-epic/ – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Rahul’s Writings » SurpriseNow you know how governments that were disputing on really complicated issues, however struck accord on this one issue of DRIVING SLOW. ...
rahuls.wordpress.com/tag/surprise/ – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

Downloads — Centre for Justice & Reconciliation at PFIHis description of Christianity as a “subversive activity” and the idea that we do our best work “under the radar” struck accord with my experience over the …
www.pficjr.org/Resources/documents/ – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

Multicast : Press ReleasesThe Quilter’s News Network (“QNN”), the world’s first internet broadcast network dedicated to quilting, has struck accord with those who enjoy this age-old …
www.multicastmedia.com/pressreleases/ – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Crofton Study InadequateFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
Advisory Forum struck accord on one thing – the NorskeCanada study on. air quality and health risks was not a baseline health risk assessment. ...
www.croftonair.org/index2.php?option=co … pdf=1&id=3 – Similar pages

CNN.com – TranscriptsHowever, something that they just said, struck accord, when they said, that they’re not—that the police is, is not telling the family the information. ...
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0107/30/lkl.00.html – 70k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-16 08:48:07)

#3 2006-09-16 09:08:20

jorkel
Eggcornista

As always, once I find a really juicy eggcorn, there’s already a similar one in the Database: “Touch a cord/CHORD” Personally, I liked my eggcorn variation “Struck a CORD/chord” better. Then I noticed one of the comments to the other eggcorns suggested it…

Commentary by Q. Pheevr , 2005/06/05 at 12:33 am

Strike a cord gets about 7,750 ghits (of which, based on a cursory examination, most seem to be the eggcorn), as compared with 115,000 for strike a chord. Oddly enough, the “strike a chord” search prompted Google to ask me whether I meant “strike a cord”; I am not sure what to make of this other than that Google works in mysterious ways.

#4 2006-09-16 17:36:06

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Hey Joe, where ya goin with that abstract interpretation in your hand?

If you do not get this, it is my fault, not yours (Jimi Hendrix et al.). But, when you do these analyses, be sure to include the original, literal meanings of these expressions. Strike a chord and play a chord are musical expressions. One can strike or play a chord on a piano or guitar, or on some other instruments by literally striking or playing the instruments. That is where this starts. It is a metaphor before it turns into an eggcorn.

#5 2006-09-16 22:56:33

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Jorkel, jorkel, jorkel… All the strings in all the instruments in all the gin joints in all the world are cords, literally. (And here “literally” literally means LITERALLY!) So every time you strike a chord on a piano or guitar, you also strike a cord.

I agree with you, though. I cannot imagine how somebody could write about musical chords, and then in the same sentence write, “strike a cord.”

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-16 23:09:22)

#6 2006-09-17 13:38:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Could a multiple birth result in an umbiblical chord?

#7 2006-09-17 19:08:22

foilsafe

Multiple birth would have to be three or more babies to have an umbiblical chord. Only two could be an umbiblical tone cluster.

#8 2014-03-30 01:47:12

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

Could a multiple birth result in an umbiblical chord?

If it were a virgin birth it’d be a Biblical chord.

But seriously, folks, I thought I’d share a variation on the cord/chord confusion:

I’m selling a woodstove insert with about a chord of wood and rack.
(from an ad in our local online bulletin board)

I don’t see a plausible eggcornish meaning connection offhand, so reckon it’s just a misspelling.

Or is it?

Board footer