Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-10-26 08:26:32

klakritz
Eggcornista

'insectuous' for 'incestuous.'

In ‘Ada’ Vladimir Nabokov has his principal characters play ominously with the triple anagram ‘insect-incest-nicest.’ Apparently, this verbal similarity gets picked up outside of fiction too. The reshaping is perhaps influenced by the real or imagined mindelss fecundity of insects. Examples:

Hs realtionship with hii sister may well have been insectuous but this would
hardly have been the first case of such activity.
forum.powweb.com/archive/index.php/t-33296.html

We know that politics and political reporting is an insectuous business, ...
www.patrickruffini.com/archives/2005/03 … taffer.php

Sounded almost as if it was vaugely insectuous. I wondered if Luke was his brother or something, he being the guy in the photo.
www.fkfanfic.com/fanfic/j/just1993.txt

But HCE is compromised by guilt, his nebulous sin in the park and his “insectuouslonging” burden him with the stain of “original sin.
www.themodernword.com/joyce/joyce_works_fw.html

Zues was a womanizer and had an insectuous relationship with his sister, Loki killed his brother for no other reason than he was told it couldn’t be done, ...
www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthrea … 931&page=2

... doubtlessly a menagerie of technologies and the oversite of a few intellectually insectuous eggheads?
portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/04/57173.shtml

You just called me a cute and cuddly penguin. And insectuous penguin, but a penguin none-the-less.
roleplayinggeeks.net/ZFORUM/viewtopic.php?p=41862&sid=e55293eb9877fe1722e5ffcccdea1b8d

Our southeastern shore is insectuous with corruption.
www.clubconspiracy.com/modules/newbb/vi … 05&foru…

#2 2005-10-26 20:31:22

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'insectuous' for 'incestuous.'

Added.

The forum is very handy to reply to each submission individually.

#3 2015-09-27 15:26:25

Dangat

Re: 'insectuous' for 'incestuous.'

To that I must add the nominalized form of the eggcorn above: “insects” for “incest”. My neighbor was telling me about her cousins who got caught committing “insects” together. I tremble to think the directions that that could be taken in!

Board footer