Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-04-08 21:41:21

kem
Eggcornista

unbiguous << ambiguous

There are some dozens of examples of “unbiguous” for “ambiguous” on the web. Seems like something semantic might be behind the switch in spelling, at least for a few users. Perhaps the “un-“ reinforces the negativity of an ambiguous event. A few speakers may even include the “-big-“ syllable in their reanalysis – an unbiguous situation being one that lacks the big certainties.

Blog entry: “. Of course it wasn’t that easy and Dr Jeremy used unbiguous statements like ‘there’s no reason why he can’t’”

Tech thread on batteries: “ I’ve read it’s a basic one (the sticker on the battery suggests 1.2A for 5-10hours as a method), but I don’t know if this voltage raising is good/bad/ unbiguous.”

Flickr caption: “A swamp in UK forest. Border unbiguous, the muddy ground was reminding me of the horifying bottomless swamps in those old tales.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-04-14 07:42:02

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: unbiguous << ambiguous

Ace. Here’s a partner, though only a singleton. The final sentence here is, well, more poetry.

feels like forever.nerves,emotions,passions.back and forth they swing, periodically pushed.some of us very compliant to the meandering directions, some resistant. we must drift apart from others, though we feel that need to stick to them.the start of something new, the end of something beautiful. we will never know.i sit here trite, greatly unbivalent, giving a facade presence, disgruntled, finding my way out .
Blog

#3 2013-05-02 12:19:28

larrybob
Eggcornista

Also spelled unbigious. It seems like in some usages people mean “ambiguous” and in others “unambiguous”

Comment on political discussion “A single political organization shouldnot have unbigious goals.”

About greek masks and evil mobile phones: “Arguing implies the exposure of a logical reasoning of facts that leads to an unbigious conclusion.”

#4 2013-05-03 09:20:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Unbigious would be self-referential if any of the ambiguity were left in it.

Board footer