Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-09-16 17:39:56

jorkel
Eggcornista

SICKOfant (Sycophant)

Google counts on Sept 16, 2006
629,000 sycophant
9080 PSYCHOphant + 2490 PSYCHOfant
979 SICKOphant + 3880 SICKOfant
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A sycophant is a person who curries favor. Clearly it is already a derisive term, but to make it more so there is probably much intentional substitution of “psycho” and “sicko” for the first two syllables. The Urban Dictionary even carries a definition of a sickofant.

Urban Dictionary: Author Beccasickophant, Apr 22, 2005. noun: derived from the word “sick”, a sickophant is someone that “sickifies… 45. Cool Cat, Apr 20, 2005 …
www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Becca – 14k – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from www.urbandictionary.com ]

But, even though most usage is intentional, the question is whether there is ever sufficient UNINTENDED usage to qualify it as an eggcorn. I guess it depends on finding examples that carry two core features: 1. Unintended usage, and 2. Belief in the alternative imagery. At best, I’m likely to find examples where the utterer simply assumes “sicko” is a shortened version of some longer word “sickofant.”

Examples:
Drunken Philosophies and RantingsThough perhaps you are a sickofant who craves a dangerous occupation with no benefits , low wage , and dictatorial bosses . Ya freak . . . ...
superinsignificantboy.blogspot.com/2006/03/we-as-creatures-of-nature-are-spurred.html – 29k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

HaloScan.com – CommentsIt turns you into a delusional sickofant that votes for the democrat candidate. the doctor of democracy | 05.17.06 – 6:26 pm | # ...
www.haloscan.com/comments.php?user=crooks&comment=8313 – Similar pages

Danger Will Robinson – Refrigeration-Engineer.com forumsWell , apart from Steve admiting to being some kind of apprentice sickofant , here goes . Story 1 . While working in a Safeway plantroom , on a weekend …
www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/s … php?p=1729 – 42k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

JOBVENT – Rate a Company/EmployerJob Security: Again, depends on your abilities of being a sickofant. Under no circumstance should you show greater intellect than your managers. ...
www.jobvent.com/reviewDetail.php?ID=2742 – 6k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer