Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-05-15 07:59:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

shown < shone

I was sure this one had been done, but I did not find it, searching just now. Anyhow, fwiw, I have this in edited-and-published print as well as all over the Internet:

His face shown like an angel.

Rafourid looked perfectly gorgeous as his luxuriant chestnut mane and tail tossed in the wind and shown like copper in the sunlight.

the cold light of 1948 shown on the Holocaust, the murder of six million Jews and others.

her eyes shown with such mirth as I have never seen

The candle-light shown on her hair.

Her large eyes picked up the very shade of her gown, and shown out like emeralds from under her thick lashes in the candlelight.

The moonlight shown into the room which created a mysterious appearance by the shadows which seemed to be at play with the moonbeams

so much of her beauty shown from within—in the way she smiled and laughed and teased.

his eyes shown in approval.

It shown upon the house, the grounds, and the bush beyond. To the left, it shown upon the Muggle town that lay a few miles beyond the Eckerton manor.

When you walked into my office that day, it was as though the sun had finally shown through the rain.

To what extent it’s just a spelling mistake (many of us do pronounce shone [ʃoʷn] rather than [ʃɔn]), to what extent it’s an eggcorn, and to what extent it has some kind of blending of the semantics of shine and show I can’t tell very well. The last example, for instance, might well mean the sun had showed up through the rain. Anyway, it’s a funny one.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-05-15 09:18:41

kem
Eggcornista

Re: shown < shone

The phrase “low-hanging fruit” doesn’t do justice to this one. It’s on the ground and rotting.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer