Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-13 14:49:58

KellyB

"immanently" for "eminently", as in "immanently qualified"

What more can I say?

If (big if!) Alito is “eminently qualified” for the court, then he stands out among his peers, is conspicuously qualified for the position.

If he’s “immanently qualified”, his skill is, what? Innate?

Kelly B.

#2 2006-09-13 15:07:35

KellyB

Re: "immanently" for "eminently", as in "immanently qualified"

Or even better and should have thought of it, “imminently qualified”. According to a PBS Newshour transcript of a George W. Bush press conference, the president said “I’m mindful of the fact that someone as imminently qualified as John Roberts did have half the Democrat caucus voted against him.”

He presumably didn’t mean that Roberts was moments away from being qualified, and apparently the White House later corrected the transcript.

#3 2006-09-16 15:52:04

fishbait1
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "immanently" for "eminently", as in "immanently qualified"

In fairness to George Bush (and I never thought I’d write those words) “imminently” and “eminently,” like “pin” and “pen”, are homonyms in his dialect. Hence no eggcorn. As a lawyer, I read stenographic transcripts all the time. I can tell you that it is unfair to charge anything you read in a transcript to the original speaker.

Board footer