Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-06-08 20:58:19

David Bird
Eggcornista

Eggcorns and other jewels gleaned from "dumbest tweets"

Some souls spend immense amounts of time extracting what they call “dumb tweets”. Their blogs are hodgepodges of different sorts of peculiar found objects, but there amongst the rubble, diamonds. I made a short list from a few of the hundreds of pages in the dumb tweets lists, before the real world called me back. Here they are in the order they turned up on the awsomelyluvvie and dumbesttweets blogs. [My observations are in parentheses]. Links are provided for evidence found in the wild.

[First off, a pair of probable Cupertinos}.

wiki questions What is the dwarf African frogs best defense magnesium?

@NETWORKGIL: hate all girls with arterial motives that’s why I 20 plus no son no daughters

[Then a grove of eggcorns and mondegreens.]

your just a sillow wet of a perfect man [His ink is still drying].

Damn IM having flashes; I can’t go thru mini pulse at 21, can I?

hypercritic [hypocritical]

@RazorRamon: Does TBoz still have single cell?
@ATrain314: its SICKER cell u idiot.

Every damn year we learn about the hollow cost

What about slavery? The holla course?

Triple Aunt Andre, don’t even ask me how.” One of my favorite Jay-Z lines. [triple entendre]

jet eye mind trick

Ever dentally you give a fuck, if you took the time out to tell me you have 0 fucks to give.

[A heartbreaking one]: steal birth for stillbirth

a new card again sweater

We’re watching the first black president being swarmed in

If I wanted ripped clothes I would do myself.. well i guess two reaches their own...

Let me reintegrate my comment from yesterday. [reiterate]

Zoe Saldana is pretty but she’s anne or resick.

My girl gave me an ulta mate him.

Derrick Rose trying to speak on National Television like he doesn’t have a speech peppermint

gotta go see my ghanacolleges today

oh my 3yr old god son call me to sing for lease Navidad

My femail interwishings never be wrong

I always ovary act to small stuff

[I went looking for evidence of that one in the wild]:

Cool down, that’s an ovary action;)
https://twitter.com/Blaknsam/status/259421717468958721

Granted its a league above, and i would like to see a couple of fresh faces as much as the next man, but all this doom and gloom before a ball has even been kicked is a bit of an ovary-action.
UK FC

Cream Abdul Jabar was overrated

#2 2013-06-10 12:50:05

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Eggcorns and other jewels gleaned from "dumbest tweets"

Two from this catalogue of hilarities, I think, could be added to our year’s list:

(1) “Hypercritical/hypercrite” strikes me as a good eggcorn, and as a substitute for “hypocritical/hypocrite” it’s as common as fruit flies (many of the hits, of course, are the English word “hypercritical” meaning “extra critical”).

(2) Search engine scans for “female/women’s/woman’s interwishing/s” turns up a few examples that look like they might be genuine.

Last edited by kem (2013-06-12 23:27:16)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-06-11 14:29:15

larrybob
Eggcornista

I love interwishing. Here’s a variation: inner wishing:

Political forum: “My inner wishing is telling me this is bad news and we are going to face the consequences of this big time…. Take this from an old woman whose batting average on inner wishing holds more home runs then strikes.”

Fanfic: “Breaking through some bushes, and thinking about his trip to the mountain Willow stops, pulls out a map he has been chartering through the years of traveling and plots a shortcut that would have saved him days if he had only listened to his inner wishing when he began his travel to the mountain.”

Of course the past-tense verb form is inner-wished, not intuited:

Fanfic review: “Enough, at least, that I started to cry after the village elders scene – because I kind of inner-wished Itachi had done exactly as Danzo said and carried out his mission to the T, other men be damned..and then I felt like a Bad Person”

#4 2013-06-11 19:21:27

larrybob
Eggcornista

Also: into wishing:
Answer forum: “If you have to question yourself on that than the odds are he is, go with a woman’s into wishing.”

Forum: “Along with (my gift) meaning my into wishing, which runs in the family.”

#5 2013-06-12 16:38:28

David Bird
Eggcornista

I agree that hypercritical and interwishing are great, Kem. Hypocritical was asking for it; who can ignore the illusory critic hidden in there? Inner wishings and into wishing are even better, cutos to larrybob.

I thought there’d be some explicit love for ovary action. That one strikes me as a new classic on the the level of a nominal egg. It’s like a late 19th c. psychological diagnosis: you’re having a hysterical ovary action.

Here’s some evidence for the surprisingly common jet eye mind trick. Mojo hand, monkey paw and jet eye.

The best jet eye mind trick the GOP every performed, was getting blue collar republicans to be very passionate about the financial well being of millionaires.
news comment

Ok, call me crazy, But this happend alot when i was in my r/s. and would leave me wondering or a feeling that some jet eye mind trick was just pulled on me.. you know the feeling when something just does not sit right.
Relationship forum

#6 2013-06-12 23:30:25

kem
Eggcornista

a hysterical ovary action

Now that you explain it, I get it. Didn’t think about the old ovary/hysterics link.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#7 2013-06-14 16:02:41

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

David B wrote:

I thought there’d be some explicit love for ovary action. That one strikes me as a new classic on the the level of a nominal egg.

I agree, Tocayo. I reported the ovary action on Facebook and got some: the women in my family took note that I had picked a moment when I was alone, several thousand miles from the nearest of them. It is a dangerous one, but very, very beautiful.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-06-14 16:03:29)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer