Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-06-29 02:40:02

kem
Eggcornista

stunk << skunk

Plenty of Kids-Say-the-Darndest-Things reports on the web about little Miltons replacing “skunk” with “stunk.”

There’s some evidence for the switch as a standard for adult speakers. This can be seen in the idioms “got skunked” and “drunk as a skunk” and in the popular name for skunk cabbage (Lysichiton americanus).

Fishing forum: “well..hit the lake last night after work for some walleye action…bite WAS very strong until we came…big walleye got the only fish, and i got stunked !”

Hockey discussion on bodybuilding site: “Yeah, I was thinking about my fantasy hockey brahs when I saw they had that many goals and Crosby basically got stunked.”

Subsidy-published vampire novel: “She drinks till she’s drunk as a stunk, and finds her way home without anyone to put her arms around.”

Pregnancy/parenting forum: “didn’t help that DH came home drunk as a stunk and smelling of garlic and beer”

Photo caption:stunk cabbage in spring time – typical badly smelling plant in swamps and wet grounds”

Marijuana forum: “Your right LM lettuce,cabbage, even stunk cabbage is a narcotic. ”

Board footer