Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-06-29 18:58:51

kem
Eggcornista

botulism

These days botulism, a disease which got its name from a Latin word for “sausage” (its earliest recognized vector was bad pork links), tends to be associated with canned food.

I wonder how many of those who use the word botulism think the word “bottle” is hiding in it?

A recipe for finding the hidden ingredient in botulism. Start with pure “botulism.” Then fold in an extra “t:”

Canadian forum: “Well you needn’t worry as long as you stay away from carrot juice…but it makes you think first it was e coli, now it’s bottulism..what’s next?”

Research site post: “Don’t know much about bottulism but I do know that’s tricky to diagnose. ”

Allow the mixture to ferment in the presence of an l/u transposition:

Food discussion: “got home and the compost bin was the only thing for where it fitted, eating it and botlusim not being an option”

TV show forum: “why would you take a chance with something like botlusim for a can of soup?”

Then bake well until the “u” evaporates:

British football (soccer) thread: “Eating out is a choice between overpriced restaurants, or bottlism from a take-away.”

Web fiction: “Taz stopped beside the pumps and shut the car off. He rubbed his stomach and frowned. ‘Is bottlism fatal? I don’t feel so good. Do I look like I’ve got it?’ ”

Ladle into bottles, underprocess, take out lots of liability insurance, and serve to guests.

Last edited by kem (2014-08-01 13:34:52)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-07-04 05:34:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: botulism

Bottlism. Grade A Large.

Board footer