Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-06-29 23:58:51

kem
Eggcornista

botulism

These days botulism, a disease which got its name from a Latin word for “sausage” (its earliest recognized vector was bad pork links), tends to be associated with canned food.

I wonder how many of those who use the word botulism think the word “bottle” is hiding in it?

A recipe for finding the hidden ingredient in botulism. Start with pure “botulism.” Then fold in an extra “t:”

Canadian forum: “Well you needn’t worry as long as you stay away from carrot juice…but it makes you think first it was e coli, now it’s bottulism..what’s next?”

Research site post: “Don’t know much about bottulism but I do know that’s tricky to diagnose. ”

Allow the mixture to ferment in the presence of an l/u transposition:

Food discussion: “got home and the compost bin was the only thing for where it fitted, eating it and botlusim not being an option”

TV show forum: “why would you take a chance with something like botlusim for a can of soup?”

Then bake well until the “u” evaporates:

British football (soccer) thread: “Eating out is a choice between overpriced restaurants, or bottlism from a take-away.”

Web fiction: “Taz stopped beside the pumps and shut the car off. He rubbed his stomach and frowned. ‘Is bottlism fatal? I don’t feel so good. Do I look like I’ve got it?’ ”

Ladle into bottles, underprocess, take out lots of liability insurance, and serve to guests.

Last edited by kem (2014-08-01 18:34:52)

#2 2013-07-04 10:34:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: botulism

Bottlism. Grade A Large.

Board footer