Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-07-10 10:48:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

goddy

This one grabbed me when I saw it. But the most straightforward usages of it as a substitution for gaudy are probably not eggcornish but (perhaps) blended, or simply missplet. (Possible sources for blending might include gaudy (of course) god-awful, odd, shoddy and other despicative ddy words like muddy, cruddy , etc.):

living in some goddy house in the more popular areas.

This is a wonderful product that isn’t too big and goddy like some other owls I’ve seen, but isn’t too small. My girlfriend was thrilled.

Doess this sound ‘goddy’ looking? Okay I am 5’6 and I weigh 140 so I’m pretty thinish for my height. […] today I’m wearing my blaid purple aeropostale coat jacket thing black converses grey skinneys and a pretty bloody bullet for my valentine tshirt and my pink dooney and burke purse (ps I’m 14) and one of my friends (preppy matching freak) said that I need tto just go to walmart and get a fake black purse
cause I look like a moron. I think she is just jealous cause I can afford nie things. But idk does it really sound like that bad of a clothes comboo.?

You have very tastefully modded that car without a bunch of goddy looking body crap. Your paint is perfect as well

I also don’t want to have big eyesore goddy decor more like hidden mickey. I have looked at disney.com store but am not thrilled

Other usages bring a religious element into the mix more specifically, and seem less eggcornish to me — at least they are less-plausible substitutes for gaudy in general usage and more likely to be purposeful. Note the Urban Dictionary’s use of gawdy as an important but non-definitive part of their definition.

One thing really caught my eye — the number of churches and goddy organizations in the parade, all with messages of inclusion.

Urban Dictionary: goddy Interior decor consisting of gawdy, ornate religious paraphernalia such as crosses, rosaries, Jesus photos and memorabilia, i.e., bible art, gratto’s, saint statues,

Doubtless purposeful:

goddy-goddy-gosple Mp3 Download

(Echoing “goody-goody[-gumdrop]”, “godly”, “God in the Gospel”???)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-07-13 06:33:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: goddy

Speaking of God and gaud, climbing the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona to enjoy its ornamentation is a truly religious experience. Set aside Nietzsche’s remark about the equivalent mind set of saint and sinner after a steep mountain climb. There’s something about the air in Catalonia that leads to effervescent artistic expression. When that air mounted to the brain of the intensely Catholic Antoni Gaudí, it exploded in what for me made the ineffable, well, effable, in the replacement of the oppressive gargoyles and cherubs of most European cathedrals by exuberant life. I wept when I saw the joyful stone snails, turtles, lizards and fruit adorning the exterior. The columns of the nave are different tree species, which split realistically into branches to support the roof. A gothic modernista art nouveau naturalistan explosion. I’m not the only one to have reconsidered the word gaudy after meeting the works of Gaudi. And goddy would fit beautifully too.

Does the adjective “Gawdy” owe it’s origin to the unusual designs of the Spanish Architect Antonio Gaudi?
Yahoo questions

Shangri-La The jewel encrusted palace of the Moghul is rivaled only the Taj Mahal. What Shangri-La lacks in style it makes up for in its gaudi display of wealth.
Lego castles

#3 2015-11-05 13:02:05

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: goddy

Just ran across gawdy again. The (mis-)spelling somehow seems slightly iconic (self-referential); like it is not as elegant as the real thing that it pretends to be. The aw combination is somehow linked (for me —for the rest of you?) with the tawdry, awful, raw, gawky, awkward, mawkish, and so on.
(As noted above, the spelling goddy may waken similar connotations of god-awful shoddiness.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-11-05 13:04:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer