Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-07-22 10:44:40

kem
Eggcornista

irashible << irascible

Irascible, the quality of short-fusedness, often attracts an extra “r,” becoming “irrascible,” as though it contained the negative “in-“ prefix that we find in “irreverent,” “irrevocable,” “irrespective,” and “irrepressible.” The doubled consonant has no basis in etymology, however. “Irascible” harks back to the Latin ira, anger (cf. dies irae, day of wrath).

The web has a dozen or more examples of “irascible” with the word “rash” in it, spelled both as “irashible” and “irrashible.” The change may be semantically motivated: irascibility does contains a large dollop of rashness.

Three examples:

Dog description: “She is aggressive and … irashible and never gives up nothing”

Ex-Scientologist message board post: “ Rather irashible. But it does present an opportunity for me to reassert what I observed”

Comment on online gaming site: “we have had the 2 main oc supervisors in our war channel and the opponents flaming was irrashible and unnoted”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-07-23 10:34:00

burred
Eggcornista

Re: irashible << irascible

Good one. The irashible rash easily. Irascible could be a word you knew and understood but mispronounced in your head. Irassible? Irashible? Iraskible? It must be that they’ve heard someone pronounce it as irashible. Another guess I’ve seen is erasable, which doesn’t make sense.

Trouble with asci gives me an excuse to mention one of my fave poteaux roses, one that is abundant on the net: fâchiste for fasciste. To be fâché is to be angry, from the same root as our fastidious. So fâchistes are irritated and disdainful and fussy. Neatness is fâchiste.

Board footer