Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-08-15 13:58:54

fpberger
Eggcornista

Don't take no gruff

“Guff”, meaning either “nonsense” or “insolent backtalk” is not a very common English word but shows up in a few specific idiomatic phrases. I see “Gruff”, which can mean brusque or surly, substituted in its place, even though it’s an adjective rather than a noun. I would guess the speaker or writer would assume that “gruff” in this case is rough talk or rough treatment.

She’s an independent, take no-gruff, hard-working and hard- partying country woman!

Mount it proudly on your hideout wall to let visitiors know that you don’t take no gruff from nobody no how!

In the case of “giving me gruff” there may be additional confusion with “giving me grief”

this site is giving me gruff about attaching it as a file

So, Facebook is giving me gruff this morning.

Last edited by fpberger (2013-08-15 13:59:37)

#2 2013-08-15 14:31:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Don't take no gruff

Wildly common. I’m fairly certain I’ve heard this one before. Good find.

“Fairly certain” may sound like a cavil, but it can’t hold a candle to an expression I recorded earlier this summer. My interlocutor uttered the adverbial string “pretty much always for the most part.” Blew all the fuses in my parsing circuits.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer