Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-08-29 04:33:54

burred
Eggcornista

"paperazi" for paparazzi

If paparazzi (papa-RAT-see) are not sent by the pope to harass celebrities, then where does the word come from? AWAD:

Plural of paparazzo, from the name of a photographer in Federico Fellini’s 1959 film La Dolce Vita. Fellini got the name via scriptwriter Ennio Flaiano who picked it from the 1901 travel book By the Ionian Sea. The book mentions a hotel owner named Coriolano Paparazzo. Fellini claimed at another time that the name Paparazzo suggested to him “a buzzing insect, hovering, darting, stinging”. Earliest documented use: 1961.

I can’t be the only one to think they were from the press, and therefore that paper was involved. Quite a few have the same idea (if these are not phonetic spellings) and rhyme it with nazi.

I just saw on the news that Justin’s getting questioned with Assault and battery on a paperazi.
http://www.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.as … D=68809671

Q: what do you think celeberties should be allowed to do to the paperazi
R: i think they should be able to cuss them out and flip them off and make sure that the paperazi doesn’t tell anyone they said that
R: they should be allowed to smash and jump on the paperazi’s camera’s just to teach them a lesson.
“Yahoo questions”

Woke up this morning and found this paperazi shot of me from yesterday
http://passionford.com/forum/general-ca … up-19.html

Rachel smiled and put on her underwear and bra then put on her jeans. “Hopefully there is no paperazi outside.”
http://missleamichelesarfati.tumblr.com/

#2 2013-08-29 07:36:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "paperazi" for paparazzi

Amazin’, the ones we miss! In this case, miss until it’s almost obsolete. What is a paper?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-08-29 10:17:40

kem
Eggcornista

Also POPPERazi. Perhaps from the popping flashbulbs or because they pop up where they are not wanted.

I always said the killing a child ceremony and scary symbolism on the outside was for the popperazi to give them something to talk about to keep people afraid of looking in.

There is no way in hell that the popperazi took that photo.

I think the reason ex-Presidents vacation at the Grove is that they are away from the press and the popperazi and it is a totally “safe” place to be

Some instances of “popperazi” are deliberate puns.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2013-08-29 21:38:36

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Even better! (A spoken eggcorn: paperazzi has got to be written-only, pretty much.)
Flashbulbs popping? What’s that all about? Who ever heard of such a thing?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer