Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2009-12-04 00:14:32

sigfpe

"Get a lot of slack"

I understand the metaphor used in “get a lot of flak” or “get a lot of flack”, but “get a lot of slack” sounds like a mishearing and/or misinterpretation to me. The strange thing is that when I do a web search I get more hits on “get a lot of slack” than “get a lot of flack”. So Is this an eggcorn, or have I been living under a rock the last 40 years and failed to realize that “get a lot of slack” is correct?

#2 2009-12-04 04:08:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Get a lot of slack"

To me they’re a kind of opposite: if someone gives you a lot of flak they are not giving you any slack.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-12-05 01:41:37

sigfpe

But if you look at the usages that come up on doing a search, like “This app seems to get a lot of slack, but I like it.”, it’s clear that “get a lot of slack” is intended to mean “be heavily criticized”.

#4 2009-12-05 05:14:59

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

So it’s an opposite used malapropistically. That is not unheard of (surprisingly common actually). But I don’t know how to make sense of it—how does the phrase with “slack” add up to mean “be criticized/griped about” or anything else that fits those contexts? So for me it is, while an interesting and fun error, not an eggcorn.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2009-12-05 17:37:11

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I think something sublidiomatic is at work. Being slagged off is much the same as getting a lot of flak, but then we’d have to accept that ‘slag’ could be misheard/misinterpreted as ‘slack’ – not too unlikely a leap, perhaps?

#6 2013-09-03 10:20:46

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And, FWIW, here’s the example I encountered recently:

Fillion is over hyped for no reason at all. Sorry. I know i’ll get slack for this.

Board footer