Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-11 19:21:19

burred
Eggcornista

burrow, borough, bury

I onced watched a couple of moles crawling into their borough.
From my angle, all I could see was mole-asses.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/20 … -1010.html

On a news forum today, reporting on steamy ads for molasses, there was this unusual use of borough for burrow. It turns out that they are from the same root words, along with bury.

Keep an eye out for tiny Middle Eastern eateries all over New York City’s burrows
http://www.googobits.com/articles/p2-42 … n-nyc.html

I suspect that these are malaprops, though it’s conceivable that some see a parallel.

#2 2013-09-11 11:10:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: burrow, borough, bury

Here’s the example I just stumbled upon (from an online chat-list for fans of the European band Faust):

I tried my New York friends but the few I have left there are all in the outer burrows struggling with kids and jobs in small apartments.

I agree that it may possibly be an eggcorn to some who may think of boroughs/burrows as cozy and/or dirty holes that people crawl home to, but I have no idea whether anyone has ever assumed that meaning, as opposed to just making a simple malaprop.

Board footer