Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-08-02 18:06:07

larrybob
Eggcornista

Soramimi - Japanese term for homophonic translations of song lyrics

Kind of like a cross-language Mondegreen for a whole song’s lyrics.

The Wikipedia article on Soramimi includes several examples from other languages as well.

#2 2013-08-02 21:03:51

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Soramimi - Japanese term for homophonic translations of song lyrics

#3 2013-10-03 02:09:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Soramimi - Japanese term for homophonic translations of song lyrics

The Joe Cocker video is wonderful. I’ve shared it with numerous friends, with much hilarity ensuing. But, I believe that its being an English-to-English homophonic confusion means it’s not, by definition, a soramimi. If it’s monolingual, it’s a mondegreen, not a soramimi.

Here’s an amusing example of an accidental soramimi: One of my favorite bands, the European band Faust, does a song called “J’ai Mal aux Dents” in which they repeat the refrain “J’ai mal aux dents. J’ai mal aux pieds aussi.” (“I have a toothache. I have aching feet, too.”) A fan once told them he loved their song “Schempal Buddha”. Puzzled, they told him they had no such song. So he sang it to them: “Schempal buddha, ship on a better sea”—to the tune of “J’ai Mal aux Dents”! That’s what he thought they were saying. They were so amused, they started calling the song “Schempal Buddha” or just “Schempal” for short. I’m not sure whether they actually sing the “schempal” lyrics nowadays or the original French ones.

Board footer