Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-10-11 00:40:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"displace" for "display(s)"?

I encountered this online today in a comment thread:

Actually all American news is tragically flawed and driven by special interests, but perhaps because so many outlets seem to have to favor a side, we get people like Fox News able to displace graphics like the following… [followed by a photo of a Fox News set with a video graphic including the phrase “Obama Shutdown”]

It took me a second to decipher the intended meaning, but I think this writer mean “display” instead of “displace”. There was certainly nothing in the photo he or she was referring to that had any noticeable connection to displacement. So I googled “displace graphics” and got 38 hits, most of which were in tech-speak that I had trouble understanding. But a few seemed like they might be substitutions of “displace” for “display”. For instance:

This browser application may be configured to receive and displace graphics, text, and multimedia employing virtually any web based language…

This bodily structure features well-favored displace graphics and vibrant colors feature team logo…

It’s hard to see a plausible eggcornish meaning connection, unless someone is confusing the “place” in “displace” with displaying something.

Board footer