Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-10-11 05:40:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"displace" for "display(s)"?

I encountered this online today in a comment thread:

Actually all American news is tragically flawed and driven by special interests, but perhaps because so many outlets seem to have to favor a side, we get people like Fox News able to displace graphics like the following… [followed by a photo of a Fox News set with a video graphic including the phrase “Obama Shutdown”]

It took me a second to decipher the intended meaning, but I think this writer mean “display” instead of “displace”. There was certainly nothing in the photo he or she was referring to that had any noticeable connection to displacement. So I googled “displace graphics” and got 38 hits, most of which were in tech-speak that I had trouble understanding. But a few seemed like they might be substitutions of “displace” for “display”. For instance:

This browser application may be configured to receive and displace graphics, text, and multimedia employing virtually any web based language…

This bodily structure features well-favored displace graphics and vibrant colors feature team logo…

It’s hard to see a plausible eggcornish meaning connection, unless someone is confusing the “place” in “displace” with displaying something.

Board footer