Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-10-17 19:08:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

night and shining armor (/armour)

My night and shinning amour will be here to take care of me.

He’s my night and shining armor, only better he’s in dress blues.

Hes my night and shining armour. He’s been with me through everything. I love him to death

I thought he was my night and shining armour….. But it turns out he was just another loser in aluminum foil.

Another of the many in/and substitutions. I’m not sure how people work the notion of a night as opposed to a knight in here: I can think of several vague possibilities but none stands out as right. (Is the night a reflection on the dire circumstances the fair maiden needs rescuing from? Is it an aspect of the hero’s character or appearance?)

Might there be some contribution or interference from the (antonymic?) phrase bright and shining?

Anyhow, it was good for a chuckle or two, and there are lots of exx. (I particularly liked the alumin(i)um foil, and the amour is pretty good too.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-10-18 11:33:51)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-10-19 13:01:29

burred
Eggcornista

Re: night and shining armor (/armour)

A night and shining amour suggested another variant, tocayo, focused wholly on the getup.

We as women are really looking for Prince Charming. We are still looking for that nice and shining armor.
Transcript

@therealjesus_m I can’t ! My nice and shining armor is outta town ;)
twit

You need to have faith in your partner. Waiting for the nice and shiny armor might never materialise !
relationship advice

The first is clearly a silicism, but the other two might be for real.

#3 2013-10-19 16:27:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: night and shining armor (/armour)

DavidTuggy wrote:

I’m not sure how people work the notion of a night as opposed to a knight in here…

Since all the examples appear to be about romantic love, I imagine the “night” imagery refers (however unconsciously) to delicious romantic activities that occur in the night.

I’m also reminded of a woman I knew in the early 70s who referred to her (presumably non-romantic) love for her son by calling him her “knight in white satin” (a somewhat distorted reference to the Moody Blues’ hit song “Nights in White Satin”).

And then there’s the popular nickname for Batman: “The Dark Knight”—presumably a conscious pun.

Board footer