Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-10-23 00:11:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"mortitorium" for "moratorium"

This was in an online discussion I saw today:

Yes we do need a mortitorium on vineyards now…

Having never seen this one, I was inspired to google “mortitorium”, and found around 30 unique hits that are this eggcorn (and not the heavy metal band or a pun). For instance:

Mortitorium on legal immigration, border sealing, deportations of illegals would spur economy…

Anyone who THINKS a mortitorium on flounder will fix the problem has no idea as to what the issue is.

There should be a mortitorium on GE foods until long-term studies show they are safe for human health and the environment.

I would like to point out that there is no mortitorium on posting today.

What we need is a retroactive mortitorium on all of Obama’s executive orders and appointments.

in 1929 during the great depression the people took to the streets and demanded there be a foreclosure mortitorium, a foreclsoure mortitorium now would put countless people out of work.

The Governor had to call a mortitorium and issed warnings to price gaugers.

Surely this is an eggcorn. The meaning connection would seem to be a reference to a sort of death (even if temporary), though I also wouldn’t rule out possible reference to mortification in the sense of subduing by denial or even in the sense of humiliation.

I didn’t bother to google slight spelling variations on this, such as “mortatorium”, but they probably exist, too.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2013-10-23 00:12:53)

#2 2013-10-23 08:50:25

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "mortitorium" for "moratorium"

“Mortitorium” is a hard eggcorn to prove. It assumes an implicit or explicit etymological aptitude on the part of the speaker—the ability to draw a line between “mort-” and death (though the Latin mors does have a prominent place in English: mortal, mortuary, immortal). In addition, the initial “t” could be a result of pulling forward the later “t.”

“Mortatorium” sounds like it should be the generic term for a place where bodies are kept. “The columbarium was on the west side of the mortatorium, near the old graves.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer