Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-10-27 19:13:43

David Bird
Eggcornista

"wobbler" for warbler

An easy enough mistake to make in roving multinational packs of bird fanciers. It might be that the perps associate the name with some sort of unsteadiness. In song? Or flight? Oh, the red, red robin goes, Wob, wob, wobblin’ along.

We never imagined how many different species of birds inhabited these islands. Everything from a yellow wobbler to a red footed booby
http://www.taraksharvari.blogspot.ca/20 … chive.html

Last edited by David Bird (2013-10-27 19:14:00)

#2 2013-11-04 13:18:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "wobbler" for warbler

Warbling is almost by definition your voice wobbling, is it not? I expect there are wobble/warble substitutions out there in other contexts as well.

The buzzy noise changed quality due to the different noises and seemed to warble back and forth.

Dumbfounded he watched the blue flame warble back and forth for a few seconds before shutting it off.

My brain sort of unhinges calculating the audacity, one eye beginning to warble back-and-forth superfast, knuckles gripping seat flesh with rapturous dread

When ever i sing, my voice doesn’t wobble. When holding a longer note the pitch doesn’t change. When i see a lot of professionals sing they do have a wobble in their voice. I don’t get much chance to sing properly since i am very embarrassed about singing even though i was offered a solo part in a major production. My confidence has been knocked as i have been “forced” to perform numerous times in the past. I guess what i really am trying to ask is should i really have a wobble in my voice, if so could my confidence be a reason i don’t and how do i get one? Thanks.

(This last is probably less an eggcornish substitution of wobble for warble than a naive description given by someone who doesn’t know what to call vibrato .)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer