Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-11-07 18:21:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Pewtred!

From a YouTube comment thread about “psychic” con artiste Sylvia Browne:

She and other so called psychics are pieces of PEWTRED SHIT who prey on people who are looking for a little comfort.

This inspired me to google “pewtred” and I got, by my sampling method, at least a hundred unique non-pun hits, such as:

Someone must know something about immortality, beyond that of the blabbering of the usless mortals of this pewtred little planet that shall be taken over soon.

They usually have about 20 in there and the smell is pewtred…

With the loss to Illinois two weeks ago and the pewtred performance against FCS powerhouse…

Anyway I began to take his diaper off when a pewtred smell came whisping by my nose.

So went to make the kids some sliders that night and opened the bag to smell something horribly pewtred!!!

It is a very pewtred smell, not like normal gas from a dog.

I also glanced at the google hits for “pewtrid” and there appear to be even more of them.

Associating “pew” with “putrid” seems to be an eggcornish process. Per Wiktionary, there may or may not be an etymological connection:

Possibly from French putois (“skunk”) or puer (“to stink”) or a truncation of putrid.

Related terms, some of which may contribute to a general confusion which may lead to eggcornish cognitive processes, include “P.U.”, “peeyoo”, “phew”, and “poo”.

#2 2013-11-08 02:09:27

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: Pewtred!

Anything to do with Pepe Le Pew?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer