Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-11-21 01:37:11

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"deaf and dump"

Recently I encountered this in an online discussion:

I’m not deaf or dump.

“Dumbtruck” for “dumptruck” has been mentioned in the Eggcorn Forum, and the more general dumb/dump confusion briefly alluded to. “Deaf and dump” yields 272 purportedly unique Google hits. In some cases, the perp also writes “deaf and dumb” in the same paragraph, so in those cases a typo may be the most likely explanation, even though p and b are nowhere near each other on the keyboard. In other cases, it may really be an eggcorn, though the meaning connection is a bit of a stretch; the closest meaning connection I can come up with is that “dump” has a negative connotation and so does “dumb”. I’m thinking also that maybe people are loath to call mute folks “dumb” because of its “stupid” connotation, so maybe they think “dump” is really the proper word in the phrase, in spite of the oddness of using “dump” adjectivally.

#2 2013-11-21 10:02:19

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "deaf and dump"

I harbour a suspicion that there is something topo-neurological about the transformation of d into p and b into d. It’s a quantum translation/reflection/rotation. We should without any doubt find deaf and dumd. Et presto:

blind,deaf and dumd
http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/78133066

To complete my proof, I shall needs produce a deaf and dumq.

Albert Darlington, of New Bloom field, has entered the Deaf and Dumq Institute, Mt. Airy.
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/39183790/

Well, okay, that’s a silicism, so the suspicion remains for the moment in a superposition of true and false. Or should I say a…

a transmissive video display is disposed in front of the mechanical-reel display to portray a video image in superbosition over the mechanical-reel display.
http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant … 011202723/

#3 2015-01-31 14:24:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s a really dump variation:

I’d say if he has something to share with people, that is for good even he has to say some of dumpest things ever.
discussion of guitar player

WORLDS DUMPEST CRIME, THEIF GET SHOCKED TRY TO ROB CHURCH CAUGHT ON TAPE.
YouTube caption

What is the dumpest Question you seen on here?
Q&A site

#4 2015-02-08 03:28:34

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Dump and dumper.

wtf is that , she’s dumper than a raccoon’s butt 
comment on a video

I dunno which is dumper. His filming himself not paying attention to the road or him posting the films on a pro-bike blog.
buses versus bicycles discussion

Your comment makes you sound dumper than the girl in the video.
discussion of a video

#5 2018-01-13 16:17:30

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

The latest variation I’ve encountered:

Jay Hawkins originally wrote it as a love ballad about a girlfriend who had dumbed him.
music discussion

Makes eggcornish sense, as one may feel dumb, or as if they’ve been played for a sucker, after being dumped.

Board footer