Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-11-23 12:28:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"jive" for "jibe"

“Jive” for “jibe” is already in the Eggcorn Database. but I thought I’d share this example I just encountered online:

The absence of the “Demon in a Bottle” story line is one example of a very heavy-hitting and serious story not jiving with the more jovial or heightened tone of the film series…

The meaning connection that makes it an eggcorn may be a bit of a stretch, but jibing (matching well with something) could be seen as related to “jive” (one meaning of which is jazzy music), with an implication of harmoniousness.

#2 2013-11-23 22:52:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "jive" for "jibe"

Makes sense.
A suggestion: to help us lazy ones, link to the place you are referring to. It’s not terribly hard: type (only without the spaces next to the plusses or around the colon) ”+ text to show as the link +” : URL , like this .
(When I forget how, as I periodically do, I go check somebody else’s post with a link in it, and copy it into mine, to see the pattern again.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-11-23 22:56:25)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer