Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-12-12 16:42:42

burred
Eggcornista

"Soup opera"

I found this one on a movie review site. I’m surprised to note its absence from our backpages.

Afternoon TV must have as many ads for soup as for soap. Lots of hits are from Brazilian and Spanish sites, no doubt due to the confluence of soup, soap, and sopa.

Don’t miss Lilly’s ending below.

F1 is essentially a Soup Opera with fast cars, this episode is the soup opera equivalent of the episode of Dallas when JR gets shot
Rotten tomatoes

Brazilian Soup Opera shows lesbian kiss at commercial time
Sexualities gossip

I feel like I’m in a bad sex-and-the-city-like soup opera.
dating challenges

I don`t know if anyone of you know that a PORTGUES SOUP OPRA won a International Emmy in 2010… = )
I saw this soup opera and loved… it was so real the story of… CONGRATULATION for all the team of this AMAZING soup opera : )
ESL

Lilly’s ending is way more soup-opera like. its dramatic, full of tension, people running wildly, international flights, love confessions on a hospital bed, a teenage love that endures a series of surreal tribulations and then they are happy ever after.
Game fans

Soup opera actor hypnotised
A soup opera muscle actor is hypnotised by a strange light.
deviant art

#2 2013-12-15 12:45:46

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "Soup opera"

In my household when I was a kid we called them “soap boppers”. Not an eggcorn nor an unconscious substitution, just a little wordplay. I think every family has its idiosyncratic expressions.

After writing the above, I googled “soap boppers” and was not surprised to learn that the term is not restricted to my family. One of the more interesting examples is:

I Used to Love Soap Operas
As a little girls, I called them “so boppers” and then learned they were really called “soap boppers.”
http://ramblingsofagreenyogurt.blogspot … peras.html

Also, googling “soap poppers” and “so poppers” yields some examples of each.

Similarly, my family called movies “moom pitchers” (moving pictures). Googling also yields quite a few examples of that one.

Board footer