Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-12-30 01:28:00

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"pumper crop" for "bumper crop"

The longer I’ve been an eggcornista, the more I see possible eggcorns popping out at me everywhere. Today I saw somebody use the term “bumper crop” (I think it was here in the Eggcorn Forum) and I immediately thought “Pumper crop! That’s the ticket!”

I googled “pumper crop” and counted over 40 eggcornish examples, such as:

Afghani farmer harvesting pumper crop of wheat
photo caption

...and an unusual tip for gardeners hoping for a pumper crop this summer – play your blooms heavy metal tunes!
blog

Remember last year when the drought left us less than desirable pumpkins, little ugly gourds and no Indian corn? It’s a pumper crop this year!
FB page

The country has for the third year running registered another pumper maize harvest at 3.661 million tonnes…want the country to invest in food storage mechanisms because pumper crop yields end up rotting due to inadequate and poor storage facilities
news report

The sounds of “p” and “b” are similar enough for auditory confusion to be plausible (blausiple?), and the image of a “pumper crop”—i.e., plentiful crops pouring forth from the earth or the farm like water from a pump—works. I say it’s an eggcorn, and a new one, AFAIK.

Board footer