Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-01-08 08:38:30

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"raise cane" for "raise Cain"

I encountered this today:

In this episode, MonsterTalk interviews two of the scientists who are working on the show to find out if this is a serious search for Bigfoot, or just folks out in the woods raising cane.
[from an email update from Skeptic magazine]

“Raise Cain”, meaning to create an uproar (a reference to Cain, the first murderer in Judeo-Christian mythology), dates back to about 1800, according to Google Ngram. The variation “raise cane” is very common. Since I can easily picture someone waving a cane about agitatedly, threateningly while raising Cain/cane, it sure seems like a real eggcorn to me!

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2014-01-08 08:49:47)

#2 2014-01-08 15:17:53

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "raise cane" for "raise Cain"

Ken Lakritz posted this one back in the pre-Forum: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/

“Raising Cain” may be a 19th century euphemism. People were wont to speak of “raising hell” and “raising the devil” (raising in the sense of “raising a spirit”). Cain, perhaps, was a less threatening redivivus.

It may also be that the perps are thinking, not so much about sugar cane, but about beating someone with a walking cane, another popular 19th century sport (it happened in Congress just before the Civil War—the victim nearly died).

Last edited by kem (2014-01-09 17:23:11)

#3 2014-01-09 02:49:32

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "raise cane" for "raise Cain"

kem wrote:

It may also be that the perps are thinking, not so much about sugar cane, but about beating someone with a walking cane, another popular 19th century sport…

That’s exactly the image I was referring to.

Board footer