Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-18 18:13:48

awordspace

Screach marks

I heard “screach marks” years ago. I found only a few matches with Google, but “screach marks” is versatile. It seems to be used for “stretch marks,” and “scratch marks.” “Screech marks” seems to be used properly.

I finally told my Dr that this is crazy My skin can’t take much more (the screach marks are gross).
http://www.phentermine.com/forums/ultim … 042/2.html

Last edited by awordspace (2006-09-18 18:49:46)

#2 2006-09-18 20:53:10

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Screach marks

Google counts on Sept. 18, 2006
338,000 “scratch marks”
248 “screech marks”
24 “screach marks”

As awordspace suggests, “Screach” is just a misspelling of “screech” (which means “a high, shrill, piercing cry.”)
Virtually all mentions of “screech marks” on the web refer to tire marks. Only two of the 24 mentions of “screach marks” are surrogates for “scratch marks” (on skin). The substitute imagery seems legitiimate, albeit extremely rare.

Here’s the other example from the web:

AmandaMicalka’s Xanga Site… to her room {thats where Aly and AJ where} and seppert Aly from AJ they both had screach marks every where on there face and I wisper “Catfight” then my …
www.xanga.com/AmandaMicalka – 138k – Cached – Similar pages

As an aside… I find it a bit bizarre that a visual mark (tire marks) is described with an audio term (screech marks). This convention just seems to invite cross-sensory descriptions like the two below…

Search for driver who struck, killed pedestrian”The wife didn’t hear anything like screech marks or a yell. Just all of a sudden the phone went out.” A passing security guard found Duran-Valencia lying …
sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/16/BAGHFL75L08.DTL – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

2006 EDPA 5309I can practically hear the screech marks. This is where the rubber meets the road. We have talked about so much in this class. Now we must articulate our …
schooltechleadership.typepad.com/edpa5309/ – 363k – Cached – Similar pages

Finally, I wonder whether “screech marks” are ever refered to as “scratch marks.”
I located one, but there are probably others…

State v. Cook No. 262A92 (Filed 10 September 1993) 1. Homicide 280 …These marks on the pavement, I submit to you, are the scratch marks where the car sped away at or after the first shot that struck Mr. Thomas [the victim] ...
www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/nc-supreme-court/sep1093/cook – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer