Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-18 19:00:31

Scott

"resulted to" for "resorted to"

I came across this in a friend’s facebook status message [“I have no tv… I have resulted to watching dvds”, though I may be misremembering it] and was confused for more than a few moments. The meaning was clear enough, but it rubbed me the wrong way. So of course, I checked a few dictionaries to see whether “resulted” could actually be used in that manner, and it seems that it cannot be. Finally, it dawned on me that “resorted” would fit in properly and that this could quite possibly be an eggcorn.

A quick google check showed that there are about 8690 hits, total, for “I have resulted to” and “We have resulted to”.

#2 2006-09-18 21:12:22

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "resulted to" for "resorted to"

Google counts on Sept 18, 2006:
5,960,000 “resorted to”
429,000 “RESULTED to”
Narrowing down the searches further…
935,000 “have resorted to”
50,900 “have RESULTED to”—proposed eggcorn

The poster Scott motivates the proposed eggcorn usage well. All we need are a few web-based examples to scrutinize. I tried to capture examples where a gerund (noun derived from a verb by adding -ing) came immediately after “have resulted to.” These examples seem to fulfill the qualifications for an eggcorn…

A day in the life of…..Since I am too stubborn to go to the dentist because I think they are crooks, I have resulted to eating soft foods until it gets better. ...
www.chilifrei.net/ – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

Yubu Development Agency Inc.They have resulted to drinking alcohol and drugs abuse. Such attitude and behavior is an impediment to economic development and may also work against peace …
www.yubu.org/projects/social/index.php – 12k – Cached – Similar pages

PLEASE from david ero on 2003-08-30 (ietf-charsets@w3.org from …We have resulted to begging,which is the only hope and the only way forward for now majority of us are old and very weak,what we do now is to go to major …
lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-charsets/2003JulSep/0620.html – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

N’shape with’N featuring Nettie Reeves: Shape Your Mind & Body …If you are struggling with your life and have resulted to overeating, let me help you get to the root of the issue and allow you to start living again. ...
www.nshapewithn.com/ – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

MoxieGrrrl.com: The First Person To Reference Nazis In An Argument …Not sure if you are familiar with the racist organization, Save Our State (SOS), but they have resulted to trying to personally insult me by posting my …
www.moxiegrrrl.com/2006/08/first-person … is-in.html – 52k – Cached – Similar pages

DVD Verdict Review – King CobraSubsequently, after the release of this film, prisons have resulted to a new form of cruel and unusual punishment by forcing prisoners in solitary …
www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/kingcobra.php – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-19 10:45:20)

Board footer