Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-03-05 00:01:14

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"wunderking" for "wunderkind"

AIR GUITAR WUNDERKING!!!!! Almost famous Dan Crane. The next IT boy!
music etc. site

He also needs the directing talent of that action wunderking James Cameron, with whom he did his best work.
movie review

Bet Jazz Calls Him The Latest Cuban Wunderking, Aruan Ortiz, Exalts In The American Jazz Scene.
headline of music article

Gloria Cain, wife of Republican presidential wunderking and embattled candidate Herman Cain, claims charges of sexual harassment against her husband left her wondering JUST who Cain’s accusers are talking about.
tabloid article

Opportunities for me
Is a red carpet to hell
But I’m a Roma wunderking
I’m gonna break the…
Break the spell
song lyric

I think this is, in most cases, more than just a misspelling, partly because it’s way more common than other misspellings that have the wrong final letter in “wunderkind”, such as “wonderkinf”. Also, there’s a plausible eggcornish meaning interpretation, and the sound is probably similar enough to be in eggcorn territory, though I suspect this one is mostly more of an eyecorn than an earcorn.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2014-03-30 02:21:49)

#2 2014-03-05 11:54:25

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "wunderking" for "wunderkind"

Some kind of wonderful.

#3 2014-03-05 12:00:46

burred
Eggcornista

Speaking of which, you have to wonder whether wunderkind is a potential hidden eggcorn. Support for that possibility might be provided by translations to wonder kind instead of wonder kid.

Late last year, we were approached by Perri Tutelman, a wonder-kind high school student.
marketing site

#4 2014-03-05 12:13:41

kem
Eggcornista

Quite a few “wunderkins” on the web. I’m not sure what the image is, but they’re definitely not talking about any of my relatives.

Thread on wristwatches: “That said, no matter how good your work product is…even if a wunderkin ...you’ll NEVER meet a client of the Firm or go to court on their behalf if your appearance/image is off, but if truly a wunderkin might be lucky and get relegated to the backroom-”

Fan fiction forum: “You’re a wunderkin, Molly Raesly”

Writing blog: “Okay, I’m officially blogging—new concept for me, sharing conversations with the wunderkin of writing.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2014-03-06 11:10:27

burred
Eggcornista

There seem to be two different origins for -kins. One is as a diminutive. The other is as a relative of kind and ultimately of genus. Wunderkins that are not misspellings by a dropped letter are more likely to be the first case and therefore a better eggcorn. A full eggcorn and not an eggkin.

Board footer