Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-03-12 21:09:56

Bill Walderman

Single handily

I couldn’t find this in the files, but it seems to be somewhat common.

https://www.google.com/search?q=single+ … S:official

#2 2014-03-13 09:25:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Single handily

Also

If you apply the logic even handily, any football club in debt is utilising money it doesn’t have.

So, if there are rules, how about having them written down somewhere and applying them even-handily, with equal emphasis applied to their correct application by those weilding the power, as to correct adherance by the rest of us mere mortals.

[they] were double-handily polishing off the tray of soft-shelled crabs

Klaxons are known to bring a party atmosphere to their live appearances and have triple-handily re-popularized the slacker look

Her mother also told me her daughter was entirely left handed, to the point she’d alternate her knife and fork left handily when eating.

(That one is interesting, with “left handed” so close in the context. The next is a rather different meaning.)

I am not going to make a big issue of that, I understand what he meant, we all say things a little left-handily.

Some examples of right handily are probably this error, but I don’t have time to sift through the legit examples to find them. Similarly for other possibilities as well. Back handily, side handily, black handily, … I wonder if anyone thinks of it as (single) handle-ly?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-04-02 06:26:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

she unawarily meshed her lips against him…hungry, desiring. her tongue demanding enterance.-
coöp fic

Uncle climbed a coconut palm tree, but fell, because he unawarily held on to a weak spine of the coconut.
lexicon

He is known to be unawarily sexist
http://cartooncartoons-rpg.tumblr.com/p … a-island-l

He should be wary, or at least less unawary. BTW, how do you pronounce “unabomber”?

#4 2014-04-02 09:58:39

burred
Eggcornista

At least take especial care before you aim your shafts at Calvinism, that you know what Calvinism is, and what it is not, that in the mass of doctrine which it is of late become the fashion to abuse under the name of Calvinism, you can distinguish with certainty between that part of it which is nothing better than Calvinism and that which belongs to our common Christianity, and the general faith of the reformed Churches, lest when you mean to fall foul of Calvinism, you should uniwarily attack something more sacred and of a higher origin.
The Right Windy William Wilmer, 1815*

* from THE EPISCOPAL MANUAL: OR AN ATTEMPT TO EXPLAIN AND VINDICATE THE DOCTRINE, DISCIPLINE AND WORSHIP OF THE PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH, AS TAUGHT IN HER PUBLIC FORMULARIES, AND THE WRITINGS OF HER APPROVED DIVINES. TO WHICH ARE ADDED OBSERVATIONS ON FAMILY AND PUBLIC DEVOTION, AND DIRECTIONS FOR A DEVOUT AWD DECENT ATTENDANCE ON PUBLIC WORSHIP, WITH PRAYERS SUITABLE TO SEVERAL OCCASIONS: THE WHOLE BEING INTENDED TO ILLUSTRATE AND ENFORCE EVANGELICAL PIETY. BY A CLERGYMAN OF THE PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH

Board footer