Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-08 16:15:09

donc

oranges and peaches

“Oranges and Peaches” is a creative reshaping of the title of the book by Charles Darwin, “On the Origin of Species”. It’s not too farfetched to suppose he could have based his theory of evolution on a study of fruit rather than finches. This was first reported as a request submitted to a reference librarian, and served as the title for a 1996 paper by Patricia Dewdney and Gillian Michell:

Oranges and Peaches: Understanding Communication Accidents in the Reference Interview. Reference Quarterly, 35 (4), 520-536.

available at http://www.ala.org/ala/rusa/rusapubs/ru … 1/1998.htm

#2 2014-04-02 14:36:10

kem
Eggcornista

Re: oranges and peaches

On the topic of peaches, a correspondent sent me an email this week with the phrase “thrilled to peaches.” I asked her why she used this version of the idiom. She said “I just liked the term ‘thrilled to peaches’...it made me laugh but I wasn’t sure why. I never even put it together with ‘thrilled to pieces’.”

As we can see on the web, “thrilled to peaches” is a common form of the expression “thrilled to pieces.” A few of these dozens of hits may be intentional puns, but most seem to be standard speech for the writers.

This eggcorn in this case may improve on the acorn. I’ve never been sure what “thrilled to pieces” meant. Seems like a positive experience ought to make one whole, not fragmented. Disassembly consorts better with the notion of disappointment. Peaches, in contrast, can move the taste buds to ecstasy, so “thrilled to peaches” makes a lot of sense.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-04-02 17:21:45

burred
Eggcornista

Re: oranges and peaches

১০ । মানুষের সৃস্টি ।(B)
বিবর্তন প্রাকৃতিক নির্বাচন ও পরিব্যক্তি এই দুই মৌলিক এিয়ার দ্বারা ঘটে বিবর্তনের জন্য গভীরতা বাড়তে বাড়তে এক পর্যায় জড় বস্তু থেকে জৈব বস্তু DNA (অনু) থেকে এক কোষী প্রানী ,আসতে আসতে জটিলতর প্রানী এবং এক পর্যায় মানুষ প্রানীর মাঝে আত্নসচেতনতার উদ্ভব হয়।
. আমার প্রশ্ন হল আল্লাহ আমাদের সৃস্টি না করলে ,এই ভাবে মানুষ এখন কেন সৃস্টি হইনা ?
science কি theory তে বিশ্বাসী ?science তো fact এ বিশ্বাসী। evolution তো একটা theory !বই এর নামই হলো Charles Darwin Theory of Evolution ।Charles Darwin – the origin of peaches বইটি কি পড়েন নি? Charles Darwin একটি চিঠি পাঠালেন JOHN HERSCHEL এর কাছে ১৮৬১ সালে তিনি লিখেছেন আমি বিশ্বাস করি না Theory of Evolution কারন আমার কাছে কোন প্রুফ নেই।আমি এইটাকে শুধু মাএ বিশ্বাস করি এই কারনে- এইটা আমাকে সাহায্য করে classification of embryology,morphology

The above seems to be a real hit, but the speaker is clearly ESL. Google Translate can give you the gist of what he’s saying. It’s Bengali.

Otherwise, lots of hits for loving someone to peaches. Logical progression: “I hate those meeses to pieces!”, to loving to pieces, to thrilling to pieces. To peaches does seem inordinately cutesy, though.

Board footer