Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-04-05 21:39:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

April nonces

It’s my annual infliction of obscure noncense. April Fish Day has a tradition going back, way back in the venerable annals of this forum, whereby singleton discoveries get a free ride. Their eggcornhood cannot really be determined on an anecdoatal basis, and some of them are just interesting slips and anomalies, so I put them here in Slips and misshapings.

The first one needs some preamble. The heavy steel-walled containers for construction debris I walk by every day have this sign on them. There was only one hit for the eggcorn it suggested.

does anyone here think that a 500,000 tonne steel structure with curtain steel walls would be punctured by hitting a stationary 100 tonne aluminium aircraft?
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre … p=68969801

Wait, huh?

I first thought the next was a nonce, but then found a couple of more hits by dent of google images.

(image of crayfish) cooked grayfish and grayfifish knife
Photo for sale

(picture of crayfish) Signal grayfish
http://www.peterpreece.com/USERIMAGES/S … ayfish.jpg

White Grayfish kill my pleco
Youtube video

Next, a malaprop. Then the list.

In conclusion we can say that total lipids increase in all the diseases taken into consideration, but in a way independent of the disease’s ideology.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& … WM&cad=rja

lol yeah I know the delorded does. Its stronger than morphine. Morphine stopped working for me.
twitter

Pent up anger and mental disturbance lay doorman in every school across the country waiting to break out.
Gun violence

What teeth I do have are covered with plaque and I have hollow toeses or whatever…it means bad breath but I don’t know what it has to do with your toeses.
Caption contest

Proper winter boots, proper winter sweaters, either down duvet, double glazing are things the British should get familiar with.
delight at london snowfall

I’ve never hunted in my whole life. But today, for the first time, I’ve seen a lion hunting (and killing) a buffalo and a leopard hunting an impaler!
Feng Shui guy

Magarite, Caulis Dendrobii, Bear’s gallblader, antlerope horn, cornus officinalis
Chinese medicine

The Red Wheelies aim to raise positive awareness of mobile sclerosis or MS.
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View … category=1

And the winner is:

everything is pretty horrifying but the audience takes pleasure in utterly despising every human onscreen and watching them earn their justice hurts.
movie review

Acorns: etiology, Dilaudid, dormant, halitosis, eider, impala, antelope, multiple, just deserts.

#2 2014-04-07 04:45:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: April nonces

Justice hurts! Ooooh! (and the others)
(Surely the hollow toeses were purposeful?)
I like the figure of the doorman lying along the threshold.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-04-07 14:03:20

kem
Eggcornista

“Justice hurts” for “just deserts” would be among the best eggcorns of all time—if only it could be certified.

“Disease ideology” seems like it might have some claim to eggcornhood. “Etiology” and “ideology” occupy a common conceptual space.

#4 2014-04-10 02:35:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Awesome list!

Board footer