Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-05-10 06:43:59

roonyjwelch

Pawn off

In the NY Times May 10 2014, comment to an article about Stanford’s selling its coal stock: “Secondly, clean and nuclear energy ARE cheaper, but the cost of fossil fuels (to the consumer) is low because the extra costs are disproportionately government subsidized, and then pawned off on the public in less direct ways” —“Pawned off ” for “palmed off”—meaning handed off surrreptitiously as a magician hands off a card in a trick.

#2 2014-05-10 14:37:34

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Pawn off

A discussion of palm off/pawn off is in our Eggcorn Database.

See also the exhaustive analysis of this issue by Ken Greenwald in a Wordwizard thread.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-05-10 15:08:13

roonyjwelch

Yes, once again I have submitted without checking the data base, where my fine discovery is listed long ago.

#4 2014-05-10 15:21:03

roonyjwelch

A wonderful discussion, and I remain with Elizabeth Janeway and other strict constructionists—or to paraphrase Fowler in his discussion of “rarebit,” Palm is amusing and right; pawn is stupid and wrong.

Board footer