Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-19 22:47:21

patschwieterman
Administrator

How to do some basic formatting in Forum posts

The Eggcorns Forum uses the Textile markup language; if you know a bit of Textile, you can easily create boldface, italics, block quotations, etc. in your posts. The people who developed Textile have a very easy to use website with some good examples: http://textism.com/tools/textile/

I’ll explain some of the simpler things here.

Boldface
Boldface requires an asterisk on either side of the word to be emboldened. Like this: * bold * but without the spaces between the word and the asterisks. So it’ll look like this: bold.

Italics
Italics require an understroke on either side of the word to be italicized. Like this: _ italics _ but without the spaces between the word and the understroke. So it’ll look like this: italics

Blockquote
Blockquote is a bit more complicated. Blockquote requires the command bq. before the sentence or paragraph to be quoted; a space has to separate bq. and the text. Also, you’ll need to leave one empty line between your text and the quotation, and the “bq.” has to be at the beginning of a new line.

So if I forgot to leave a space between “bq.” and the text, my block quotation would look like this:

bq.”This is a blockquote.”

Once I remember to add a space between “bq.” and “This,” the quotation will look like this:

“This is a blockquote.”

If any of this is unclear, just leave a comment in this thread.

-Pat

Board footer