Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-05-25 17:24:57

David Bird
Eggcornista

I have no compulsion about doing it, for the likes of me

On a cross-country talk show this afternoon, the guest used some interesting expressions. He couldn’t understand something, “for the likes of me.” That’s a blend between for the life of me and someone the likes of me, I’d say. Not semantically justifiable, I don’t think. His second expression was to “not have any compulsion about” an action, rather than any compunction. That one could make sense, if it were interpreted as “not having any compulsion against,” i.e., having no compunction. Both are free in the wild, though not abundant.

For the record, I like most kids. But I don’t have any compulsion about being “mean” to them, either. If a kid is rude to me, I’m going to be rude right back.
chat

it’s quite possible I overlooked something simple, but I can’t for the likes of me think of what.
code forum

#2 2014-05-26 19:47:29

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: I have no compulsion about doing it, for the likes of me

It runs the other direction too. (Documented both spoken and written.)

There’s no compunction to cancel a committee

Sort of a blend? No compulsion to hold the committee meeting, you need feel no compunction/qualms if you decide to cancel, you can cancel without compunction/any qualms

[re impulse spending] When you feel the compunction to buy

Please believe me when I say you are under no compunction whatsoever to recognise this connexion. It is entirely up to you.

[he] had felt no compunction to become acquainted with his soon to be sister-in-law. He understood her to be shallow and conceited and, though he had been polite, she had not failed to notice his disapproval of her.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer