Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-06-16 21:11:56

David Bird
Eggcornista

Glacier carving and caving for calving

Calving is an event fundamental to life and it’s not surprising that the word goes way back, to Old English and beyond. The breaking away of ice from the face of a glacier bears affinities to biological calving. This notion, and the use of the word, extends back150 years. Glacial calving carves and remodels the face of the ice, as it caves in and falls. I think that the carving of the glacier front probably works best in non-rhotic dialects. There might also be some blending going on, since glaciers do carve out valleys.

A MASSIVE carving of the glacier, right nearby added some excitement
travel blog

From the zodiacs one could see the carving of the glacier (this is the term for the ice breaking off in huge chunks) and the ice falling into the water along with loud cracking sounds.
travel blog

He explained about all that happens from the snow falling on the Inland Ice till the carving of the glacier front which takes place many thousands of years later
travel blog

There is lots of caving going on; this one could easily be a typo, the dreaded egglision.

you cannot beleive what you are seeing, we were able to witness a massive caving of the glacier, something i will never forget.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRevie … laska.html

#2 2014-06-17 22:47:16

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Glacier carving and caving for calving

Here’s an interesting occurrence of “glacier carving” with a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHGYT2XSk4

She says it is “pronounced CAV-ing” and interprets it as an odd vocalization of “carving.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2014-06-18 07:50:17

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

It works well for me, David, sculpting the face of the glacier.
Kem, that link is apparently the wrong one: I didn’t hear any discussion of what was happening at all.
If I understand what you described, this would be an example of a perp who at some point performed an eggcoronation, at least activating mentally if not vocally the eggcornish pronunciation: then when confronted with consistent mispronunciation of that structure (if not outright correction of her pronunciation at some point) interprets the acorn as a mispronunciation or a specialized warping of the now-established eggcorn. I don’t remember getting that on the record before (though I expect it has happened more than a time or two).

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2014-06-18 10:39:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

Nice evidence, Kem, thanks. Tocayo, I think he’s referring to the written description of the (underwhelming) video, which is “Glacier Carving in Glacier Bay, Alaska (pronounced CAVing)”.

Board footer