Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-06-28 16:58:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Mother and son day

(In again! Can the curse have been lifted?)
The fourth Sunday of Lent is Mothering Sunday. In an increasingly secular society which knows little of the religion to which many ostensibly belong, it is no great surprise that such a misunderstanding should come about. I came across this some months ago when two ladies in front of me in the newsagents were talking of the looming weekend and Mothering Sunday – “What about daughters?” the other cried, and tempted though I was to clarify, I simply bought my paper and fled, bemoaning internally that I couldn’t bung the encounter here on the forum.

What’s in your heart doesn’t change if you go to church or a mosque. We used to do Beavers and Cubs and I used to take the kids to mother and son day at the church, St George’s Day to the prayer meeting, Christmas. And God is all one.

#2 2014-06-29 15:35:07

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Mother and son day

Add that to our list of religious eggcorns and folk etymologies.

#3 2014-06-29 16:44:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Mother and son day

It has affinities with (anti-)Lehmann’s terms as well. Mothering Sunday is a kind of proper noun.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-06-29 20:56:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer