Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-06 05:29:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'act seed' for 'accede'

Hmmm, I fear this may be another of those unwitting transcriptions Kem has so recently described. Ploughing on regardless I reveal the only example…

COPELAND WILL ACT SEED TO THE PUBLIC OUTCRY AND RESIGN FROM HIS ELECTED POSITION TO SAVE THE TOWN ANY FURTHER …

...apart from this curiosity from the CNN Newsroom archive:

... kenya that the queen found out she’d act seeded to the phone after the death of hadder father.

Clearly should be something like, ‘the Queen found out she’d acceded the throne after the death of her (dead?) father’, but whence the mangling?

#2 2014-07-08 02:46:21

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: 'act seed' for 'accede'

Peter Forster wrote:

Clearly should be something like, ‘the Queen found out she’d acceded the throne after the death of her (dead?) father’...

I think the phrase is “succeeded to the throne”. The perp apparently confused “acceded” with “succeeded” and then that got turned into “act seeded”, probably through a transcription error, as you suggest.

#3 2014-07-08 08:44:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Yes, I think you’re right but I was clearly too wrapped up in finding some justification for actseed to see the seed in succeed. Thanks, Dixon.

#4 2014-07-08 09:49:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You “accede” to the throne or other high position when you assume/enter it, come to have access to it by right, and so forth. You “succeed” to it when you take it over from another. (Often the grammatical object of the word will be the person, but it can be used intransitively.) The queen in the snippet did both, and either word would be appropriate.
If we could only find some sort of seed-sucking in taking over the throne from your predecessor.
Did I ever share my favorite Tom Swifty? ‘“I unclogged the drain with the vacuum cleaner,” said Tom succinctly.’

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-07-08 09:52:07)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2014-07-08 11:37:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

If we could only find some sort of seed-sucking in taking over the throne from your predecessor.

You know what they say regarding the rewards of social connections: “It’s who you know and who you blow.”

#6 2014-07-08 12:01:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Walked into that one! Gross.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer