Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-03 14:28:05

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'Asia blue' for 'azure blue'

Among all the rottweilers and pitbulls, cars spas and Indian restaurants which appear to have some connection to Asia blue, sometimes something eggcornish must surely be afoot.

In the 1970s I ran a sports racer that was built in 1957—I asked the builder of the car what was the original colour and he said “Asia Blue-from Ford”. I spent days trying to find the colour at all the local paint suppliers until somebody said “You mean Azure Blue” and sure enough that was it.

he’d seen a Holden sedan of Bright Asia Blue colour which was in the vicinity and so enquiries were made around the vicinity and it was discovered that… had a vehicle which was a Holden, Bright Asia Blue coloured sedan which he’d sold a week or so after the abduction.

BEAUTIFUL PAIR OF ASIA BLUE COLOUR SCANDINAVIAN HAND BLOWN CRYSTAL VASES 1970’S in Pottery, Glass, Glass, Crystal

Asia Blue Granite, You Can Buy Various High Quality Asia Blue Granite Products from Global Asia Blue Granite Suppliers and Asia Blue Granite Manufacturers .

#2 2014-07-10 08:02:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'Asia blue' for 'azure blue'

Do they pronounce Asia as [‘æʒə] instead of [‘eʲʒə], then? (æ is the ‘short a’ vowel in “mash”, eʲ the ‘long a’ vowel of “pace” (in my dialect, anyway!))

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-07-10 11:31:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I first came across this in the late 1970s when I made the mistake of calling into a public house in Gateshead called The Azure Blue. At the time it was a much like a Star Wars bar, but without the charm, stimulation or tasteful decor. I didn’t stay long, having left my nearby home without a lightsabre, but it was clear that my pronunciation of azure excited a definite belligerence.
They insisted that Asia and azure were pronounced identically, to rhyme – more or less – with, perhaps, aphasia. It really wasn’t clear, and I didn’t press the point, that they realised the two words meant different things. I’ve revisited it because I’m at a loss to explain why Asia blue should be such a common descriptive term unless azure blue is commonly mispronounced and thereby creating eggcornish misinterpretations.

#4 2014-07-10 18:12:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

OK, so it’s azure that’s pronounced [‘eʲʒə]. Makes sense. In any case, bizarre!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer