Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-08 13:53:07

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'morkish' for 'mawkish'

Okay, it may be no more than a misspelling, but Robin Williams and Mindy reached a large public, many of whom may be unfamiliar with the spelling of mawkish. Besides, exaggerated foolish and maudlin could be seen as Morkish as well as mawkish.

... they quickly get the “morkishly virtuous” label stamped on them and are quickly dismissed as the ridiculously stalwart paladin-types who will charge …

It’s morkishly overdramatic, if condensed into a single trade paperback that would be a degree of mood-whiplash that could very well kill some readers, and it’s a clear sign that the fun has fallen out of the book.

Enough morkish sentimentality, but i do hope the advertised car finds a good home, I would rather like one myself but my hands are well and truly full with what I …

#2 2014-07-13 09:20:02

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'morkish' for 'mawkish'

Ingenious justification, Peter, but hmm. I went looking for other members of Mork’s family.

Gorking at a bird at bus stop
Tweet

I’ve rang a few local mechanics around the area and they have all borked at the idea of trying to remove a snapped bolt
Car forum

FREE vodka?...i want!!
snatches a bottle
ehhhh, cannot..
boss will dork my pay!!!
Singlish forum

Feel so angry at the managers they sacked me cos I took a week off work, they monitor me and watch me like a hork.
help forum

cheecky fucker! are you storking me? Next time instead of just looking at me you should come and buy me a drink!
chat

You’re making me crazy! Is it really so difficult? Are you storking me?
computer help forum

How do you get rid of a storker?
u take out a restraining order and he still comes around.
Yahoo questions

Sun called emergency services at around midnight on August 8 from a park in Lam Tin, saying his ‘cork’ was stuck in a plate that was part of an exercise device. Firemen and medics tried for a long time, but failed to separate the metal plate from the man – or, shall we say, his manhood. Soapy water was suggested at one point to ease him out of the small hole, but the rescue workers refused to administer it.
In the end, firemen decided to cut the plate from the rest of the apparatus and took both man and plate together to hospital.
South China paper

Actually, I do like “dork one’s pay”, “Quit storking me”, and the poor unfortunate cork stuck in the hole.

#3 2014-07-13 12:47:15

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'morkish' for 'mawkish'

Ah David, this is exactly what I’ve been missing all these many months! Feel free to cast dispersions upon my submissions at any time.

i wanted to c it becuz it was like about bombfires day n guy forks n well i loved it but i was kinda glad they didnt go over bored wit explosions …

We’ve had bombfires already, but going over bored – I wonder…

Board footer