Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-07-24 21:10:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

there enlies: the mystery

there enlies the problem

and there enlies the layout of my life

I guess there enlies the reason why she was encouraging me to have another – she was projecting her own feelings on me. H

Loves romance , fiery passion and outgoing yet is shy there enlies the mystery . She is a terrific, partner and lover.

I suppose many of these people would respond to there lies the N as quite reasonable. (I would.) The addition of the extra syllable is probably (at some level) puzzling. But there are a lot of verbs with an en – prefix of vague semantic import added to a more-or-less clearly meaningful stem (verbal or otherwise): enlist, encourage, encroach, enrich, empower, entreat, enroll, embank(ment), engulf, ensnare, entangle, encrust, ennoble … Why not enlie ? It makes as much sense as therein (a frankly obsolete word, from a pretty much obsolete postpositional construction in which there means “that”, e.g. therefrom, thereto, therefor(e), thereunto, thereupon and so forth.)

Of course, there are plenty of verbs beginning with in -, and in many cases the prefix means, pretty much, in . We put prepositions on the beginnings of verbs quite a bit, in fact. So inlie can easily mean lie in , just as inlay means lay (something) in (something else) .

There inlies the difference. You look at African Americans as different Americans rather than just Americans

And there inlies the issue with these Skyscape apps — great content, but overall user interface experience is lacking.

There inlies the rub.

(And there are plenty more out there, of both varieties.)

Anyway, the switching of a morpheme from one word to its neighbor is always a fun characteristic for an eggcorn. I like this one.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-07-24 21:17:03)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2014-07-24 21:25:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: there enlies: the mystery

My sister Ruby is the one who alerted me to these, and comments:

I guess, if it is now permissible to interchange ENSURE and INSURE, why not?

Right. Why not?
btw, that’s enterchange , dolling.

What other car starter selinod enterchanges with a saturn …

Do you really think that will fix all the glitches,...get all the new freeway enterchanges,...even the new WM stores ?? Dream on !

But it is one thing to mingle Contraries, another to enterchange them.

(Anybody want to chase down possible eggcorns around “selinod”?)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-07-27 17:11:22)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-07-25 13:59:05

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I suppose many of these people would respond to there lies the N as quite reasonable. (I would.)

Me too. But I’m not so sure about this further step from the original – I can torture a little meaning from it but once I stop squinting and holding my breath, it’s gone:

Do I claim to understand a lot of it? Heck yes! But there relies the difference: knowing and understanding.

Swing has a lot of options of how to be played. One of them is the way Kreisberg plays, speacially because is not exaggerated and there relies the goodness of it, because actually it is harder (try it!) to play like him than do a triplet-y swing feel.

We make a day to day effort in order to take our service to the level of our client’s expectations and to offer the environment you describe; and there relies the importance of our client’s feedback.

#4 2014-07-27 08:02:55

kem
Eggcornista

One of the best syllabic reanalyses we’ve seen, I think. The Eggcorn Database and Forum have accumulated a number of these: quote on quote, pain staking, star craving mad, high pathetical, safety posit box, evil in carnage, mistake in identity, hearth rob, see and eye dog, straightened arrow, last draw.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer