Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-20 20:06:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

GUARDER belt (garter) +[GUARDER snake]

Google counts on Sept 20, 2006
970,000 “garter belt”
740 “GUARDER belt”

A “garter belt” is “a wide belt of elastic with supporters hanging from it; worn by women to hold up stockings” per the freeonlinedictionary. A “GUARDER” belt must be the same such belt made for the purpose of guarding something, apparently.

(See next post for “guarder snake.”)

Examples:

MyOwnMusical: July 2005… in weddings – the dad gives away his daughter to the groom , the man may kiss the bride , he removes her guarder belt and she throws her flowers away . ...
myownmusical.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_myownmusical_archive.html – 71k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Quiz – All I Ask of You: The Wedding; Finale (A Phantom of the …You both leave to get cleaned up , ” just wait for the guarder belt . ... You sigh , ” you have to throw my guarder belt like I have to throw my bouquet . ...
quizilla.com/.../ – 30k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Of Singing and Salad – bord du rasoir’s blog… and the garter belt (I didn’t know how to spell that either; thought it was guarder belt; you can see I’m not much into discussing weddings in type). ...
borddurasoir.vox.com/library/post/of-singing-and-salad.html – 57k – Cached – Similar p

Stockings HQ: Stockings HQ main stockings discussion forum …i recently purchased my first pair of latex stockings. when they failed to stay up on their own i used my guarder belt which caused a hole in them. ...
www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php/m/423182/ – 68k – Cached – Similar pages

Urban Anguish – To Hunt the HuntersAround her thigh was a guarder belt that helt a bunch of throwing knives in it , and her dagger was hidden away . In her right had was the sheath of her …
urbananguish.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=etherealofficeblocks&action=display&thread=110930230… – 24k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-20 20:13:49)

#2 2006-09-20 20:12:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: GUARDER belt (garter) +[GUARDER snake]

Google counts on Sept 20, 2006
411,000 “garter snake”
61,000 “garden snake”
94 “GUARDER snake”

A garter snake and a garden snake are the same thing. Could this have originated as an eggcorn long ago, and worked it’s way into common usage?

A “GUARDER” snake must have been named for it’s tendency to guard it’s territory.

Examples

DFWstangs Forums – What kinda snake is this?They are normally found in creaky areas and you can find them in abundance locally around white rock lake. What does a guarder snake look like? ...
www.dfwstangs.net/forums/archive/index. … 67532.html – 14k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Monday/TuesdayAnd of course they had their fun chidding me say it was a harmless guarder snake, but I hadn’t know that when I found it and wasn’t willing to reach my hand …
www.saidsimple.com/blogs/dana/100574 – 8k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Piranha-Fury Forums > question aboutmost people are really afraid of the common guarder snake,so a rattler snake i think people will fear the most the only thing you cant do with a rattler is …
www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/lofiversion/ … 51268.html – 8k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer