Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-08-03 19:59:17

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"ratchet" for "wretched"

Today I encountered this:

I am not ghetto, loud, ratchet.

Curious, I looked up “ratchet” at urbandictionary.com, which said:

A ghetto-dialect mispronunciation of the English term “wretched”.

This blog enlarged upon that definition thus:

...a term for someone that is either; 1. A whore 2. Dirty/Nasty 3. Ghetto as HELL 4. Annoying 5. Busted

Examples:

My Hip Hop class I was feeling ratchet and ghetto this day lol
video caption

Beyonce has been feeling ratchet recently and that is evident with “Bow Down,” where she goes at a bunch of unnamed chicks.
music discussion

…or if you’re just really feeling ratchet about your workday, you can just watch them now.
web series review

I don’t see any likely meaning-confusion, so won’t call this an eggcorn. I think it’s just a substitution based on confusing two similar-sounding words, along with a broadening of meaning as the slang takes on more connotations. I just thought I’d mention it to save anyone else who encounters it from researching the possible eggcornicity.

Incidentally, I found quite a few hits for “wretched wrench”, but it looks like they’re probably all puns.

Board footer