Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-08-04 12:16:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'emergion' for 'immersion'

Some creative confusion here, merging emergin’ and immersion, featuring the transition from one dripping stage to another:

I suspect, but can’t prove Peter believed in “full emergion” baptism. The reason being is that it is a wonderful “word-picture” of the old life dying in the water, ...

The veteran is startled into an episode, or total emergion into the feeling of mortal danger and actual combat. It is powerful!

So I imagine you spoke Korean before you left or did you just pick it up through emergion?

Water Baptism We believe in the ordinance of water baptism by emergion in obedience to the Word of GOD.

#2 2014-08-04 14:41:30

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: 'emergion' for 'immersion'

If possible, immergion. Pick a program, then spend a lot of time reading bilingual books and watching American TV shows redubbed in Spanish

As the text is read in french for french immergion classes, the illustrations should help the children to understand and be interested in the story

Something to do with the rather questionable word “immerge”.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/immerge

Have I ever heard or seen “immerge”? 5 minutes ago I’d have said the word didn’t exist, that it was a blending of immerse and emerge.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2014-08-04 18:40:14

burred
Eggcornista

I think these words are all built on the same root. Immerse, immerge. Submerse, submerge. ‘Emergion’ is so plausible in this context. The only problem is that nothing is emerging, unless you stretch the metaphor to mean “emerge into”, i.e. immerse.

At the docks all three princesses jumped into the water and swam down to the submergine with the commodore and navigator not far behind.
fanfic

#4 2014-08-04 19:39:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The only problem is that nothing is emerging, unless you stretch the metaphor to mean “emerge into”, i.e. immerse.

If immersion is not quickly followed by emersion, the person remains submersed, and (very soon) drowndead. This is a sort of “the further off from England the nearer is to France” kind of semantic connection. Out from one place is in to another.
I find these fascinating. In Spanish and Nahuatl a baby’s teeth come out —emerge— (from the gums) but in English they come in —immerge?— (to the mouth). A committee member with a bright idea can toss it out —cause it to emerge— (from his or her internal store of ideas) into the committee’s consideration, and the committee can toss it out (from their consideration) as unworkable. A debutante is out (emerged?) when she is accepted into society, but a style is out when it is no longer accepted there.
The stars come out (emerging towards us) and the lights go out (emerging away from us). Remember the old line: “Her teeth are like stars —they come out at night” ?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-08-05 07:55:17)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2014-08-05 02:58:29

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Have I ever heard or seen “immerge”? 5 minutes ago I’d have said the word didn’t exist, that it was a blending of immerse and emerge.

Oops, me too. I’m the one in the corner facing the wall, wearing a pointy conical hat which, no matter how hard I pretend, is not a wizard’s one. While I’m here it strikes me – though only lightly, I barely flinch – that if I didn’t know the spelling, I might assume that emergency was the offspring of a frantic coupling of imminent and urgency, rather than its true, rather misleading parent.

If I had to (in case of an immurgency) I would do so, of course, from my heart and even for months or years. But would I like it? NO. Nono… no …

... to play out the 90 minutes and thus is not a very good option to start with. What if you need to make some immurgency changes to your team …

#6 2014-12-26 23:04:04

kem
Eggcornista

And, of course, there is plain old “emurgency,” which may be a blend of “urgent emergency.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer