Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-08-15 14:05:57

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"Mowtown" for "Motown"

I’ve always been quite sure that “Motown” is short for “Motortown”, referring, of course, to Detroit’s main industry, automobiles.

Mowtown daughter Rhonda Ross answers to the neo-soul call
title of article about Diana Ross’s daughter

New Mowtown Videos are added to our Section Daily…Entertain and Enjoy yourself by watching our Mowtown Video Clips…Always remember that we have a HUGE selection of Mowtown Videos and Flash Movies on our Site!
video site

...she channels early ’60s girl-group pop with a shout out to The Crystals on “Mowtown,” her love letter to the Detroit where she cut her teeth playing gigs after dropping out of school as a teen…
music review

mowtown is releasing it’s first 45 singles and 45 albums that are out of print or hard to find exclusively at iTMS…
music forum

I reckon it’s just a misspelling, as I doubt that anyone associates Detroit with mowing. It’s apparent, though, that these perps never made the connection to “Motortown”.

#2 2014-09-01 10:47:46

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "Mowtown" for "Motown"

#3 2014-09-01 13:12:33

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "Mowtown" for "Motown"

burred wrote:

Get some mo town in yo Motown.
http://www.last.fm/tag/more%20town
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … 8F899FF370