Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-25 07:41:09

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Two and Throw

nothing,all i want to do is be able to swap files two and throw between the computers,how do you do ythis please? mike

In an emotional two and throw between the pair, Scarlett finds out that Ashley wont call off his wedding

then you two and throw between each area to complete the different stages,

Might it be some kind of sporting image gone wrong? Like ‘tip and run’ in cricket? Not that you inhabitants of our erstwhile colonies in the West know what I mean. Unless that equally interminable game with the big glove has something similar?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-09-26 09:02:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Two and Throw

I had recorded “to and throw frewout the world”, but figured that was a non-eggcornical spoonerism. But there were a lot of other to’s and throws, including a nice repeat and a poetic citation where you would expect it to have been standard:

Daniel stared. There she was. Pacing, to and throw, to and throw.

Daffodils with crowns of gold / Show their faces stand up bold / Blow to and throw against the breeze .

It doesn’t make sense to think of it as a typo. It’s a fairly easy phonological persistence phenomenon: simply keep the articulation at the tongue tip rather than the lips. The sound is so close most won’t notice. And, of course, fro means little or nothing to a child learning the phrase, so it easily enough becomes standard. In fact not a few children will talk about froing a ball or a fit, and it would be easy enough, once learning to pronounce it throw , to bring this phrase across with all the other examples. I doubt most users have anything about cricket or baseball in mind; the phrase hit and run occurs in Am. English, but has nothing to do with anything here, I don’t think.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-09-12 08:36:53

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Inspired by “Towing the line” I wondered about “Towing and throwing”. It could easily be what somebody thinks bargees do a lot of the time.

After much towing and throwing with a representative named Abdul I was left feeling that my concerns were not put fully to rest.

All that towing and throwing for a pair of specs !!!!! I had no idea it was so complicated

You’d have thunk that we’d have thunk of that at the time.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2014-09-28 22:27:32

tce

JuanTwoThree wrote:

bq. nothing,all i want to do is be able to swap files two and throw between the computers,how do you do ythis please? mike

In an emotional two and throw between the pair, Scarlett finds out that Ashley wont call off his wedding

then you two and throw between each area to complete the different stages,

Might it be some kind of sporting image gone wrong? Like ‘tip and run’ in cricket? Not that you inhabitants of our erstwhile colonies in the West know what I mean. Unless that equally interminable game with the big glove has something similar?

There’s the ‘three and out’ in football. Non-soccer football. ;)

Board footer