Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-11-12 06:20:45

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Nineteen eighteen four

I’m tempted to put this in “Contribute” but caution shall be my watchword:

Winston Smith, protagonist of Nineteen Eighteen-Four,

His death in 1950 not long after the publication of Nineteen Eighteen-Four froze Orwell’s political development in the coldest days of the Cold War

For example, i’ve never read nineteen eighteen four, but have spoken to loads of people that have

Huxley’s Brave New World is much better. Apparently, Nineteen-Eighteen-Four was inspired it.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2014-11-12 07:46:37

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Nineteen eighteen four

It may be a rinse-cycle error. Here are two upstream versions.

Editions of Ninety Eighty-Four and Animal Farm, published in 1945, circulated in the Soviet Union;
The Guardian Books

Read Nighty-Eighty four written by George Orwell
forum

#3 2014-12-16 07:32:40

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

OFF TOPIC
@David – your first reference also contains this strange phrase “the dangers of overweening technology”. I cannot figure out how the technology [described in the the novel] could be described as “overweening”, which I understand to mean “overconfident” or “cocky”. I suspect some idea of over-use, over-arching, over-prevalent was intended.
Any thoughts

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

#4 2014-12-16 17:52:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

AdamVero wrote:

cannot figure out how the technology [described in the the novel] could be described as “overweening”, which I understand to mean “overconfident” or “cocky”. I suspect some idea of over-use, over-arching, over-prevalent was intended. Any thoughts

Overwhelming, rampantly triumphant?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2014-12-17 05:20:45

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

I suspect they might have intended “overwhelming” and got the wrong word.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

#6 2014-12-17 06:22:57

David Bird
Eggcornista

Interesting question, AdamVero. I understand the ambiguity in the use of that word in the article. In the context, I think I can see overweening technologies as a description of the potential dangers that come from too rapid, naïvely ambitious and therefore perhaps careless, development of social technologies, and our cocky eagerness to adopt them without deep consideration. They are seen in this light in hindsight, faced with the Snowden revelations. So it’s not a misuse there. It encompasses DT and your word associations in an interesting fashion.

Board footer