Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-11-15 00:06:54

melmike

Taurus palatinus for torus palatinus

A torus palatinus is an overgrowth on the roof of the mouth (palate), often torus-shaped. However, because some people are not familiar with the word “torus”, they think the word is “taurus” (constellation; astrological sign). In fact, I read one instance where the reader explained the etymology of “taurus palatinis” – it was so-named because the growth resembled a bull’s head with horns! (This example is currently unavailable for me to quote, but I’m told the database in which it exists should be back up by the end of this year).

A search of Google for “taurus palatinus” turns up many hits, though Google will try to correct you to “torus palatinus”.

Board footer